Praziquantel and aquarium salt used simultaneously to treat gill flukes and ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by NeonFlux, Aug 3, 2014.

1. NeonFlux

NeonFlux Valued Member Member

Hello guys,

Unfortunately, some of my fish are flashing and rubbing their gills recently, and sometimes they also scrape their eyes too. I'm suspecting that gill flukes has taken over a bit.

So I was wondering if combining both praziquantel and aquarium salt would work as a powerful combination in attempt to eradicate flukes and possibly help get rid of ich as well with an elevated temp of 87? Just in case I also have ich in the tank as well..

I would appreciate any input, thanks a lot guys.

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

no no no

Heat and meds in any combination is just not a good idea. Too much stress on a fish's system, plus, depending on the med, you can reduce oxygen in the water to a disastrous level.

If you suspect gill flukes, I highly recommend prazi, as I have used it with great success to treat trematodes in my old gourami tank (those things can be a pain to diagnose in anabantoids due to their labyrinth organ). I did not find salt necessary as it isn't likely to have much effect on the flukes, and my water conditioner enhances slime coat, which is the other thing salt is good for. However I doubt it would hurt the fish to use salt and prazi at the same time. If your tank does have ICH as well, I would think that the prazi would eradicate it fairly well, so heat shouldn't be necessary.

3. OP
    OP
    NeonFlux

NeonFlux Valued Member Member

Thanks for the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice