Prazipro - Detritus Worm Safe?!

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I bought a small bottle of PraziPro to treat scutariella in my cherry shrimp tank. I understand it is shrimp and snail safe, but here is my problem.

The aquasoil in the tank is sustaining a pretty healthy colony of detritus worms and other microfauna. They aren't hurting anything and keep the soil aerated and free of any food the snails and shrimp miss. Will PraziPro kill them? I'd rather not have lots of worms decaying in my shrimp tank, potentially killing everything.

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I can't attest to not killing them at all, but I noticed a low number in my shrimp tank during a treatment of prazipro (3 doses back to back, each three days apart) and I had more by the end of the treatment. It didn't kill all, or I'd even say most, but it is supposed to target works and worm like things, so I'm not sure it's entirely safe. Didn't kill mine off though, and it was a pretty long treatment.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The tank is barely over 2.5 gallons so it would be really easy to get a sudden ammonia spike. Think I'd be better off just salt dipping individual shrimp?

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I know salt dips can be successful, and if you go that route, be sure to remove any molts you see as they can molt the parasites and infect more shrimp. I don't know about the ammonia spikes, I know that can happen really fast in a small tank, but a 3/4 dose of PraziPro really knocked out the scutariella I had, the multiple doses were for something else. I guess since it's a smaller tank it would be easier to catch them and do a salt dip, but there is also the lazy option (which I picked :p) of doing a smaller dose (or two) and putting carbon back in the next day, and/or doing a water change.

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Get one gallon of water, a couple of detritus worms, and do a scientific test.

6. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldnt think it would affect them

7. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I second the scientific test. That's the only way to know for sure.

8. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It doesn’t effect them.