Prazipro and prime

TomRiddle

Howdy gang.
My recent additions, panda cories, brought some uninvited guests, looking like flukes. I have never dealt with flukes before, but read that prazipro may be a good idea. That is coming in the mail tomorrow. I currently use Prime to de chlorinate, and Hikari states that prime can react with prazipro in a negative way, mostly by reducing oxygen. I am wondering, has anyone successfully treated parasites with prazipro while also declorinating water with prime? Should I only worry about such an interaction if I was actively dosing prime to control ammonia or similar?

I was encouraged to utilize Hikari dechlorinator, but it appears to include buffers that would be unwelcome for my aquatic friends and my tap water.

I wonder if I wait to dose prazipro till 48 hours after a prime treated water change, if that would work effectively?

thanks friends for reading and for the expertise.

goldface

It's fine. You don't have to wait 48 hrs.

Upvote 0

A201

Adding an air stone & maximizing the water flow from the filter should counter any oxygenation problems that might arise between the combination of Prime & Prazipro.
Both products are commonly used together. Never heard any reports of negative effects.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I have used both. I measure Prime very carefully anyway as it’s $60 a litre in my country.
A hypodermic syringe will allow you to measure both to the correct dosage plus a little bit of extra Prime if you must?.
An air line provides surface movement all year round but is essential when using any medication in my opinion.

I have used both on the same day many times.
But I have never added slightly more than the correct dosage of Prime and the exact dosage of Prazipro.
My climate regularly goes over the 30 degrees centigrade that is mentioned on the back of Prime.

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

What's wrong with the buffers in Hikari Ultimate?

I think most dechlorination reactions produce HCl so some buffer would make it pH neutral.

Upvote 0

TomRiddle

What's wrong with the buffers in Hikari Ultimate?

I think most dechlorination reactions produce HCl so some buffer would make it pH neutral.
Thanks, I am hesitant because I have a lot of fish who are used to soft/acidic water, and my tap comes out at moderately hard and alkaline. I do have some Ultimate arriving and can give it a try, although if I can get away with prime it would be one less variable in the mix from a changes in the tank view.

Upvote 0

TomRiddle

I have used both. I measure Prime very carefully anyway as it’s $60 a litre in my country.
A hypodermic syringe will allow you to measure both to the correct dosage plus a little bit of extra Prime if you must?.
An air line provides surface movement all year round but is essential when using any medication in my opinion.

I have used both on the same day many times.
But I have never added slightly more than the correct dosage of Prime and the exact dosage of Prazipro.
My climate regularly goes over the 30 degrees centigrade that is mentioned on the back of Prime.
Thanks for your input, prazipro seemed effective in that situation?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I have never seen a fish with flukes in person. But had problems with live bearers and worms before learning of the possibly of a de worming routine. I now treat every new fish that comes into the Fishroom. And treat all tanks every few months regardless.

I believe treating the live bearers has without a doubt stopped “thin stomachs “ and the shimmering before death that I was seeing.

Upvote 0

TomRiddle

Hi gang,

Thanks again for the words of wisdom. I added the prazipro last night, without a water change, after testing the water. No negative impact noted with fish behavior, and the flukes are gone. My plan is to follow through with a water change at day five, wait another two days or so, then do the final round of prazipro.

Upvote 0

Vivo

I have never seen a fish with flukes in person. But had problems with live bearers and worms before learning of the possibly of a de worming routine. I now treat every new fish that comes into the Fishroom. And treat all tanks every few months regardless.

I believe treating the live bearers has without a doubt stopped “thin stomachs “ and the shimmering before death that I was seeing.
I was reading through this thread and I've got a question. I have two black kuhli loaches in quarantine. They are eating well, but seem skinny. I bought Prazipro but am reluctant to use it as I don't want to hurt them. There is so much controversy about medication and loaches. Do you have experience in this? What is your opinion?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Sorry Vivo I have no experience with loaches. You might do better asking a fresh new question that more people might see?

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

I've used PraziPro with loaches before. No issues.

Upvote 0

Markwk

Would you be able to share how you treat your tanks every few months? What meds do you use?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi Markwk,
Welcome to fishlore.

There is a very limited amount of medication available over the counter in Australia. And I am not a fan of adding medication without following instructions as part of a basic routine.

You ask what I add to my water.

I use a de chlorinator obviously for city tap water.
Every water change I add liquid tannins from a bucket of cold brew. Tannins have anti bacterial ,anti fungal properties. Indian almond leaf and rooibus tea / (African tea not standard tea. ) make up the majority with some oak leaf , cinnamon bark and alder cones.

I use a de worming powder or liquid on all new fish in the first month or so of them arriving while still under quarantine.
. I also treat all tanks approximately every 6 months for worms following the instructions on the packaging.

You could ask your own question in your own thread. I am also interested in hearing from others of their routine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FransiscanRelict
Replies
Views
Lorekeeper
Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies