Praecox rainbow alpha?

Sanderguy777

I got 12 praecox rainbowfish a couple weeks ago, and noticed that one has a bump or something on its lower jaw/chin.

Is this some sort of alpha male thing like in Moorii, or flowerhorns? Or is it some kind of growth that might be bad?

Flyfisha

I have never seen that before in praecox.
No that’s not normal.

Sanderguy777

Flyfisha said:
I have never seen that before in praecox.
No that’s not normal.
Think I should cull him or is there some way to medicate it?
He seems to be fine with it. He eats and is just as active as the others.

Flyfisha

An easy species to breed but reasonably hard to raise the tiny fry.
If you have no intention of breeding I see no need to cull at this stage.

Sanderguy777

Flyfisha said:
An easy species to breed but reasonably hard to raise the tiny fry.
If you have no intention of breeding I see no need to cull at this stage.
Nope, I wasn't intending to breed them (though the guy I got them from seemed to think they were related to mbuna, or angelfish, or maybe rabbits, as all they did was breed lol).

Is there something I could medicate him with? Or is that even an issue? (Like not reasonable cost or hassle wise?)

Flyfisha

Sorry I am unaware as to wither that is a cancer growth or just a growth.
If they are tank breed by a guy it is possible there is a genetic issue from a small gene pool?
It does not look like any fungus I have seen.
We would have to establish what it was he is dealing with before you could consider any medication.
Did you contact the seller ?
He may be your best bet?

Sanderguy777

Flyfisha said:
Sorry I am unaware as to wither that is a cancer growth or just a growth.
If they are tank breed by a guy it is possible there is a genetic issue from a small gene pool?
It does not look like any fungus I have seen.
We would have to establish what it was he is dealing with before you could consider any medication.
Did you contact the seller ?
He may be your best bet?
I haven't, but that is a good call. He breeds angels, but had these breed so he saved the fry (which I now own). I'll try to get ahold of him and see what he says about the parents.

I hope it is benign, but I have no idea. I just have them for dither type fish for the apistogramma borelli I have in there, so it's not like the only fish I like in the tank.

Sanderguy777

Ok, so I'm discussing it with the breeder now. Here is his original reply mentioning "lymphocystis."

"Oh they are gorgeous !!! Thanks for sharing the photos of them. I suggest you give a try to beed them. Very easy thing to do. You can Google around and there are a lot of people posting ways of breeding and raising frys. For the sick fish I have never seen something similar before. My fish dies sometimes due to being attached by plecos in the same tank. Tbh I would be hesitant to quanrentee and treat it, if it eats fine. It looks like lymphocystis to me although the color is strange (not pink/redish). No good medicine for lymphocystis anyways."

He also mentioned that water quality might be an issue, but my nitrates are at 10 ppm, 0 nitrite and ammonia, 300 gh, 180 kh, 0 chlorine. I can't measure tds, so maybe that is an issue?

GlennO

Your water is rather hard but that is unlikely to be the cause. Rainbowfish seem to have sensitive lips, they often get bumps on them that can come and go. But this seems to be a bit different. It looks as though it extends down below the jaw which is not something I have seen before. The dark colour is also odd. I would keep an eye on it, you may have to euthanize him though it doesn’t seem to be immediately necessary. Medication is not really an option without diagnosis.

Sanderguy777

GlennO said:
Your water is rather hard but that is unlikely to be the cause. Rainbowfish seem to have sensitive lips, they often get bumps on them that can come and go. But this seems to be a bit different. It looks as though it extends down below the jaw which is not something I have seen before. The dark colour is also odd. I would keep an eye on it, you may have to euthanize him though it doesn’t seem to be immediately necessary. Medication is not really an option without diagnosis.
Do you think there is any chance he is contagious? (Hard to know without knowing what the problem is itself, I know, but still).
I obviously hope he is fine, but if I do have to put him down, what is a good, cheap, fast method?

Flyfisha

I have seen these guy smash into the glass and as GlennO wrote they have a sensitive nose , but from what I have seen the result is a small white circle on the very end of the nose. The size is completely different as well as the colour. This looks nothing like that.

If it was contagious likely you would know by now? Unless it was the kind of thing passed of by eating a body after death. ?

The way you decide to euthanise your fish is a person choice. It’s not something you forget when you have had to do it. If you can’t bring yourself to do it perhaps someone else will help you? You could research the dozens of ways people use for their own needs.
My choice is to finish the job as fast as possible. As a recreational fisher person I have no issue with blunt force trauma. Verious common chemicals can be used , alcohol with a combination of clove oil is a common practice by those that can’t be hands on. Very cold water is another option.

I did a quick search on lymphocytis

GlennO

Sanderguy777 said:
Do you think there is any chance he is contagious? (Hard to know without knowing what the problem is itself, I know, but still).
I obviously hope he is fine, but if I do have to put him down, what is a good, cheap, fast method?
It’s difficult to say if it’s contagious because we don’t know what it is. That would be an argument in favour of euthanasia but on the other hand there could be a possibility of recovery. If there’s no improvement within a short time I would lean towards euthanasia. Clove oil is a very humane method. So is decapitation or a knock on the head, though a bit messier if you’re squeamish.

Sanderguy777

Flyfisha said:
If it was contagious likely you would know by now? Unless it was the kind of thing passed of by eating a body after death. ?
No other fish have it. I had a BN pleco die this morning, but I think it was old age (he was at least 3 years old, if he was the on I got with my tank. The other one was given to me, and I don't have any idea how old it was). And none had died before the rainbowfish developed that either (at least in my tank).
GlennO said:
It’s difficult to say if it’s contagious because we don’t know what it is. That would be an argument in favour of euthanasia but on the other hand there could be a possibility of recovery. If there’s no improvement within a short time I would lean towards euthanasia. Clove oil is a very humane method. So is decapitation or a knock on the head, though a bit messier if you’re squeamish.
Would it be worth killing this one if it is contagious? I would think by then it would have spread...

GlennO

Sanderguy777 said:
Would it be worth killing this one if it is contagious? I would think by then it would have spread...
Possibly. Some diseases are more infectious than others. That's assuming that it's bacterial. It could be some sort of tumour or cyst. It's a difficult choice.

Sanderguy777

GlennO said:
Possibly. Some diseases are more infectious than others. That's assuming that it's bacterial. It could be some sort of tumour or cyst. It's a difficult choice.
I think I will monitor it. If it gets bigger, or spreads to another fish, then I will cull them.

Also, I looked up images of the disease the breeder mentioned, and none of them looked like the tumor or whatever my fish has. Mine looks like his jaw grew outwards and is dark brown or grey and SMOOTH. In the photos of lymphocystis that i saw, it looked pink and bubbly or rough, not smooth.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom