Powers out need help asap not prepared Important

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

So an hour ago we had a tornado warning which wasnt a big deal wasnt really near us now the powers out. How long will the 10 and 5 g tanks be ok for the 10 is currently sottong at 86 and the 5 is at or around 82. i have no battery back up and something (hopefully not our cat who ran off because of the thunder)hit the electric wire outside i cant tell.if its down and no clue how long we will be with out power. I know there are posts about this but i dont have time to soft threw them on my phone

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

For temperature, the 10g needs to go down asap. If you still have cool water, you can water-change it down *slowly*. Another option is battery powered fans. If you have a glass lid on the tanks, take them off. If you have jumpy fish, see if you have some sort of mesh in the house.

That 86 is scary, but depending on your stock, you may also need to deal with oxygenating the water and dealing with waste buildup. If they're just betta tanks or something, the waste isn't going to be a huge issue (but do a daily waterchange until you get power, anyway). If you've got air-breathers (frogs, bettas) you don't need to worry about oxygenating the water, but other fish probably care. A battery powered air pump is a good thing to have for these situations.

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

The 10 is at 86 because of an ich outbreak its houseing young guppies the 5 is an adf tank. I cant leave my house atm because of the tornado warning but i do plan to change the tanks over to sponge filters from hob filters when i have the money so i will get a couple battery air pump backups.

Updates looks like the transformer may have blown but our cats back in the house

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Throw blankets over the tanks to keep the heat in (trust me you're going to want this). If you still don't have power tomorrow, plan on doing some water changes, several small ones, to keep things under control. You can also add an ammonia remover like Prime if that's what you use as a water conditioner, to help keep levels under control. Don't feed the fish while the power is out.

And most importantly, be safe!

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Yeah i have a 1 of those at my parents for the 29 just not here. for now our powers back on tho still raining hard so dont know.how long it will stay on tanks each lost about a degree an hour. When i get paid im going to look at some battery backups 1 for the tanks and 1 for my bfs cpap machine that he needs to sleep. I figure that should at least keep the tanks heaters operational for a few hours . Since im switching to.sponge filters in the next few weeks i can use battery air pumps as filter backups

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Worry less about the heaters and more about the filters when preparing a backup. The filter is what you want to keep going. You will lose more fish to lack of dissolved O2 and filtration than you will to temp. changes.

8. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Im not to worried about oxygen since 1 tank has adf in it and the other will have a betta here soon and dont bettas breath air or something i know the adf do but like i said ill get some battery powered air pumps when i switch to sponge filters

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

10. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Thank you once or
    Our power came back on i read threw some of the power outage stuff ill be better prepared next time at least assuming its after friday