Powerheads

DavidCStevens

Reaction score
so I'm considering getting powerheads for my tank to help keep detrias off the tank floor and going into the filter. would others agree and if so where would be most suitable as placements?
20190408_220119.jpg
20190408_220112.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My guess would be below your magfloat near your airstone and probably put your intake a little more vertical to catch more stuff towards the bottom...just my thoughts

OP
DavidCStevens

DavidCStevens

Reaction score
ok sounds good. do you think just one would be suitable? yea I moved the intake just yesterday to try something.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ide start with one and move it around to find where it’s being most productive for u and take it from there ... good luck!!

OP
DavidCStevens

DavidCStevens

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Ide start with one and move it around to find where it’s being most productive for u and take it from there ... good luck!!
ok thank you.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DavidCStevens said:
so I'm considering getting powerheads for my tank to help keep detrias off the tank floor and going into the filter. would others agree and if so where would be most suitable as placements?
20190408_220119.jpg
20190408_220112.jpg
What size tank is that? I have a 55 and have thought about adding a powerhead to help sweep debris more towards my filter intake.
I don't know what size (gph) to use, what are you looking at using? I'm also a little bit concerned about blasting my little cories around but I guess they probably would experience worse if they were living in the wild and would find a way to cope with the current.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Placed mine on the left side.of the tank "blowing" along the frontglas.
I doubt it is effective to "blow" detritus towards the filter inlet and if the filter is meand that way.

SuperD14

Reaction score
I have the wavemaker on the same side as my filter intake and it seems to blow across the tank then circle back so all the waste ends up below my wavemaker and eventually into the filter.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure you buy a good brand. There's nothing worse than a vibrating noisy powerhead. I've never had a good cheap one.
My current ones are made by Aquaclear who have kept improving their products (early ones could stick when switched off temporarily).

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep Clown Loaches.

They are river fish so need a current. Other fish will not.

I'm running 9 times turnover in a 110g.

Any more and the Clown Loaches spend all their time in their caves as they cannot sit comfortably on the substrate.

I would not use pumps rated over 250 gallons an hour due to vibrations and other issues including venturI noise.

New Threads