Powerheads

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm planning to add Powerheads to a 75 gallon community tank and was wondering what type of rating i should get and how many

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind of filtration do you have?

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Two drs foster smith HOB filters rate 350GPH each. My ultimate plan is to use sand and rock to be my natural filtration

Lexi03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is typically done for saltwater tanks, not sure how it would work for a freshwater tank...

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm pretty sure it's about the same, the denitrifying is going to build on the sand and rock instead of the filters. obviously im going to let the bacteria build before removing the filters

Lexi03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have seen people post recentlly about making dirt tanks that would work in a similar manner. Just rember that so long as the filters are on the tank, the bacteria will grow there, only a small amount will inhabit the surfaces in the tank. Also the live rock used for saltwater tanks isn't really rock I believe it is pieces of reefs.

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What make live rock alive is the organism living inside the rock, including bacteria. I use Utah rock works very well on my reef tank, never used any rock that comes from a reef.

I just hate the splashing sound hob makes and to make it stop i need to fill the tank to almost to the top, i never likee Canister filters.

Lexi03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You may want to reseach the Walstad Method. My guess would be if you where trying to filter the tank like a salt water tank, you would probibly need to follow the same rules for lbs of rock and water movement.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
canisters are fantastic! Don't be afraid

I think the bioload is going to be a significant factor. Obviously this will be easier the lower the bioload. I noticed you didn't mention anything about plants. Plants are the freshwater equivalent to live rock, as far as I know. I don't think you are going to get the same results that you get with a saltwater tank, using the same method. They are not the same approach.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Tank Equipment section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads