Powerhead Question 60 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Spencer318, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Spencer318

Spencer318 Valued Member Member

So I bought a powerhead/wavemaker that moves 790 GPH for my 60 gallon tank. It says that it is recommended for 50 gal and up. When I put it in I face it towards middle center. After doing this I can definitely see there is a flow in the tank which I like but it looks like my fish are fighting for dear life to not be swept away. Do I need a less powerful powerhead or am I doing something wrong?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Probably. I have 11 tanks and no power heads, they aren’t necessary unless you have fish that need current.

3. OP
    OP
    Spencer318

Spencer318 Valued Member Member

Ah ok then thanks

4. H

Homeslice Valued Member Member

No expert here, but I have a very similar powerhead, flows 880 GPH, in my 55 gallon. I had it on a side wall facing the middle of the tank. I only have one fish in there now (I think a yellow perch, not that big but probably big compared to most tropical fish) and he looked like you said your fish looked - like he was fighting for his life against the current. He ultimately went to the complete other side of the tank to avoid it as much as he could and stayed there. What I did was put the powerhead on the back wall all the way to one side, facing the front wall. That way the strongest current is hitting the front of the tank on one far side and weakening greatly. He now swims around 90%+ of the tank or chills there without much effort. You might try that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice