Powerhead needed?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by pitbull_nc, Mar 13, 2012.

1. pitbull_ncValued MemberMember

This might sound like a crazy question but I am trying to find out if a powerhead is actually needed. I have had my saltwater tank for close to a year now without any issues. It is a 50 gallon tank and I run 100 gallon protein skimmer and a emperor 400 mechanical filter that is designed for a 75 gallon tank. My LFS informed me that I didnt need a powerhead with the skimmer and filter but I am trying to find out from some of the vets if that is true. (we all know LFS can mislead you). I have never noticed any issues without one and am trying to find out if it is needed and if so what are the reasons and benefits?

2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Power heads keep your tank water moving which is good. If you have live rock power heads and liverock alone actually can act as a filter. I personally like power heads I think they also help with algea control.

3. OP
    OP
    p

pitbull_ncValued MemberMember

Thanks I wasnt sure how beneficial they were but I believe I will purchase one now. It is funny because I got the idea to post this thread from your post about powerheads and you are the one that responded first. lol.

4. e_watson09

Haha, that's pretty funny. The only reason I haven't added one is because I had seahorses in the tank and its still a possibility I will add some so who knows with me. I make everything complicated! :p

5. OP
    OP
    p

I heard seahorses are pretty tuff to keep in an aquarium setting is that true? Sounds interesting though.

6. e_watson09

Yeah about 6 grand down the drain and another $200 to add to that within the next week as the two we currently have aren't eating. It is a pain and super frustrating. Once they are eating they are usually fine but its the moving them and getting them to eat which is the hard part.

7. OP
    OP
    p

wow. good luck with that. Let me know how that works out. Hope the best for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice