Powerhead For Bamboo Shrimp

Timmy1027
I recently added a driftwood into my 10 gallon tank as a filtering platform for bamboo shrimp.

25394707_2020705328176915_3794966010355873111_o.jpg

The driftwood covers the filter input and the upper left branch is just below the filter output. Ideally my bamboo shrimp should climb to that platform for feeding, but I never saw it do so since the last two days.

Besides that, the large driftwood make water movement quite slow right now. Do you think the bamboo will find that platform itself? Or should I add a powerhead to increase water movement? Just in case it prefers filtering food at other places.

Aquaphobia
Does the driftwood block some of the flow? I've found that my bamboo shrimp like to sit at a little distance from the outflow where it's not too strong. On the other hand it may be that yours just hasn't found the filtering spot yet

Timmy1027
Does the driftwood block some of the flow? I've found that my bamboo shrimp like to sit at a little distance from the outflow where it's not too strong. On the other hand it may be that yours just hasn't found the filtering spot yet

I think the driftwood is a little too big for my tank, and I couldn't see any movement of plants at right side of my tank. Maybe my shrimp is just too shy to go open field. It always hide itself under cholla wood or leaves.

fa4960
I think the driftwood looks fantastic in your tank. Maybe you could turn it just slightly to allow more flow from filter?

Timmy1027
I think the driftwood looks fantastic in your tank. Maybe you could turn it just slightly to allow more flow from filter?

Thanks for your commet.

Actually the driftwood is such tightly fit into my tank... the top two branches clippe the filter input tube, leving no moving space. Amd the two feet just hit the glass in the front and back...

I bought this driftwood from Amazon w/o knowing the exact size and guesture. It is good that the wood can hide my filter, making my tank look mire natural, but kind of slow down the surface water flow.

Do you have any experienxe using powerhead in a freshwater tank? I also have CRS in tank, and I don't want the powerhead suck my nano shrimps.

Thanks

fa4960
Powerheads are great in freshwater tanks to move nutritions around to all the plants, especially in bigger tanks. However I don't have any experience with shrimps and powerheads but maybe you could cover the powerhead intake with a filter sock or a thin nylon sock? It will of course reduce the flow some but should solve the risk of your shrimps being sucked in?

fa4960
I bought this powerhead for less than USD 10 to be used to do water changes on my big tank. You could quite easily cover the intake with some filter sock if an even finer mesh than the standard intake cover is needed.

20171218_164903.jpg

KarenSoCal
I have a Power Filter on the opposing corner from the AC 50. Together they create a circular current for the food to travel in. If they survive all the fishies grabbing for them, then they get propelled around the second time, where the bamboos have slowly caught on to how to catch a meal. I have one so shy she flees if a tiny piece of flake food brushes her.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Timmy1027
Replies
Views
Cyclsnipas
Replies
Views
junebug
Replies