Powerhead For A Planted, Community 65 Gallon Tank?

Jonathan Greenberg

I have a deep 65 gallon tank that's going on ~ 9 months now. I have an Eheim 2217 with injected CO2. I'm finding the Eheim doesn't have a ton of flow (I suspect the in-line CO2 reactor is part of the issue) -- it barely creates flow past ~ half the tank length. I get a lot of detritus build-up spots. I think a powerhead would help with this problem, but I understand you don't want VERY high flow for "standard" freshwater community setups (danios, rainbowfish, tetras, corys and a few other guys mixed in). I'm having a hard time figuring out:

1) What a good powerhead flow rate should be when combined with an Eheim 2217 filter.
2) Good placement of the Eheim bar + intake tube.

My plant setup is below:

20180609_110807.jpg

Note that I have been working on a somewhat triangular shape, so I have a somewhat empty side on the left (working on getting some ground cover plants going), and the taller plants on the right. Originally the bar was on the right pointed at a 45 degree angle. I've just moved it to the left and pointed it down, with the inlet is the same basic position. In its original configuration the "open area" got almost no flow, lots of detritus build up, and (as you can see) some algae problems. Its now getting flow (good) but I suspect the right side of the tank will now start getting a lot of build up.

So, additionally: 1) is this a decent placement for Eheim bar/inlet, and 2) what would be a good powerhead and where would a good placement for it be?

DoubleDutch

you mean 65 litre I think?

Jonathan Greenberg

Um, no, I meant 65 gallon.

DoubleDutch

Um, no, I meant 65 gallon.
Huhhh you mean the tank in the pic don't you?

Jonathan Greenberg

Yes, that's a 65 gallon tank.

DoubleDutch

mmmmm okay. That would be 225 litres.
I seriously doubt that but okay.

I would put the filteroutlet horizontal just under the watersurface. It will make the watercirculation push the dirty water towards the inlet.

I've powerheads in some of my tanks (2000 amd 3000 litres p/h). My biggest tank is 40G though.

tetratetris

A bit off topic but

Beautiful tank

Jonathan Greenberg

Sorry, are you a troll? Do you actually think I don't know how big my tank is?

At any rate, does anyone have a 65 gallon tank they can suggest some powerheads for?

mmmmm okay. That would be 225 litres.
I seriously doubt that but okay.

I would put the filteroutlet horizontal just under the watersurface. It will make the watercirculation push the dirty water towards the inlet.

I've powerheads in some of my tanks (2000 amd 3000 litres p/h). My biggest tank is 40G though.

DoubleDutch

Sorry, are you a troll? Do you actually think I don't know how big my tank is?

At any rate, does anyone have a 65 gallon tank they can suggest some powerheads for?
No I am not Jonathan. The tank simply doesn't look that big. It seems shorter than my tanks but it is higher and probably wider than mine.

tetratetris

No I am not Jonathan. The tank simply doesn't look that big. It seems shorter than my tanks but it is higher and probably wider than mine.

I'd have to agree with double dutch (On the tall part) and it also might just be in proportion to the fish.

This is sorta a weird argument lol

You want your powerhead to circulate about 10x the tank every hour so a 65 should be ~650 gallons per hour

Hope this helps

P.S. Try amazon there is a jungle of powerheads there

Jonathan Greenberg

Thank you, it was really the flow rate for a freshwater tank I was having a hard time getting some advice about.

Picture or not, it makes no sense to argue with the owner about how big a tank is, especially since no one on the planet would mix up metric and imperial units. How many people on these forums don't know how big their tank is? A 65 liter tank is a bit over 15 gallons. I even said it was a tall tank in the OP. I'm going to chalk this up to a forum troll.

A bit off topic but

Beautiful tank

Wraithen

I had the exact tank and stand. You can buy the two at any petsmart or Petco. I agree it looks like it isnt, but I literally have the exact same thing sitting in my basement. 2 foot tall by 3 foot long by 18 inches deep.

OP, I would suggest circulation pumps. They aren't as fierce from the jet. I angled mine up and to the front, with my canister angled up and towards the back. I still had a small dead spot below the circulation pump towards the front of the tank, but luckily that's where my kuhlis liked to play. It takes a bit of tweaking, and sometimes what seems like a terrible idea at first works out due to the turbulence of the water in the tank.

Jonathan Greenberg

What flow rate do you use?

I had the exact tank and stand. You can buy the two at any petsmart or Petco. I agree it looks like it isnt, but I literally have the exact same thing sitting in my basement. 2 foot tall by 3 foot long by 18 inches deep.

OP, I would suggest circulation pumps. They aren't as fierce from the jet. I angled mine up and to the front, with my canister angled up and towards the back. I still had a small dead spot below the circulation pump towards the front of the tank, but luckily that's where my kuhlis liked to play. It takes a bit of tweaking, and sometimes what seems like a terrible idea at first works out due to the turbulence of the water in the tank.

DoubleDutch

Thank you, it was really the flow rate for a freshwater tank I was having a hard time getting some advice about.

Picture or not, it makes no sense to argue with the owner about how big a tank is, especially since no one on the planet would mix up metric and imperial units. How many people on these forums don't know how big their tank is? A 65 liter tank is a bit over 15 gallons. I even said it was a tall tank in the OP. I'm going to chalk this up to a forum troll.
A ridiculous reaction to me Jonathan.
There are a lot of people mixing things/dimensions up now and then so that was why I asked. Hardly tanks with that dimensions here btw.
Answered about positioning the filteroutlet and told you I have powerheads in some of my (smaller) tanks. They are 500G-600G p/h btw.

I'll rest my case. Hoping other members (US based) will chime in and will give you answers that are more satisfying to you.

Succes with your tank.

Wraithen

So, in a sideways motion here, doubledutch is definitely not a troll, and is in fact one of the most highly regarded members here.

Back on topic, I believe it was a 400 gph circulation pump. I just hated the intensity of powerheads, the circulation pump was more even because it comes out a wider area. A spray bar would fix the directed flow though.

Jonathan Greenberg

I can't believe I'm arguing on a fish forum, but to clarify: he asked if I made a mistake (which, fine, totally reasonable except if you look at the filter I mentioned or even the species of fish in there you'd know it has to be a decent size tank -- those Madagascars are ~ 4 inches+), but then I said no, then he said "I seriously doubt that but okay." rather than just accepting I was making an accurate statement, which is usually when I start suspecting a troll.

Back on topic: so maybe a Koralia Nano ? 425 gph? That won't be too strong?

Wraithen

I can't believe I'm arguing on a fish forum, but to clarify: he asked if I made a mistake (which, fine, totally reasonable except if you look at the filter I mentioned or even the species of fish in there you'd know it has to be a decent size tank -- those Madagascars are ~ 4 inches+), but then I said no, then he said "I seriously doubt that but okay." rather than just accepting I was making an accurate statement, which is usually when I start suspecting a troll.

Back on topic: so maybe a Koralia Nano ? 425 gph? That won't be too strong?
It shouldn't be too strong. Pointing it upwards reduces a lot of flow as the force is turned into top water ripples. You could also get it pointed into a nearby corner to cut down on current.

TexasGuppy

You'de be surprised at what some people think, say, stock fish, and ask for help.. it's better to double check up front than chase down a rabbit hole.

leftswerve

Is that cyano in the front left?
I use 1 sunsun 530gph circulation/wavemaker.

Jonathan Greenberg

Not cyano (I hate that stuff), I had an outbreak a few months ago and got it nuked. I had to back off on plant nutrients the last few weeks due to some fish health issues I had to deal with, and the algae took advantage of the break. The otos, smalls and plecos are happy though

Cool, ok so I'm reading some consensus on the 400 to 650gph range. I'll probably head towards the middle and see how it goes!

aussieJJDude

A lot of those fish can handle high flow rates. Even though many reccomend having flow 10x to tank size (650 g/h) you could easily bump it up to higher flow rates and the fish would be fine IMO.

NYFishGuy

A ridiculous reaction to me Jonathan.

Rather than belittling OP, implying he doesn't know the size of his own tank with multiple messages....... just ask for dimensions and calculate the volume.
Comes in handy buying used tanks too

DoubleDutch

Man oh man it wasn't meand that way at all.
I made a mistake (watching at my phone), should have asked the dimensions (that aren't found here that much btw) and tried to answer some of the questions.

Maybe I chose the wrong words cause English isn't my first language.

But you seem to be so much smarter than I am. Maybe you should answer the questions instead of being so touchy

Come on.

Rather than belittling OP, implying he doesn't know the size of his own tank with multiple messages....... just ask for dimensions and calculate the volume.
Comes in handy buying used tanks too

Wraithen

Guys, I think the thread is done. Let's leave it for the OP in case they need more help.

Jonathan Greenberg

LO-WD-0003-2.jpg
Seems like I need to get one of these to place next to my tank next time I post a question.

NYFishGuy

But you seem to be so much smarter than I am. Maybe you should answer the questions instead of being so touchy

I guess I'll just assume saying this is another poor choice of words either due to watching at your phone or english not being your first language.

DoubleDutch

LO-WD-0003-2.jpg
Seems like I need to get one of these to place next to my tank next time I post a question.
Hahahahaha. Foreign currency for me so that won't work either.

But one thing Jonathan : It wasn't meand to belittling you or what so ever.

My appologies for giving you that feeling and putting things the wrong way.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bermese2002
Replies
Views
RSababady
Replies
Views
utkgreg
Replies
Views