Powerhead For 125 African Cichlid Tank For Dead Spot

1. K

Krisk88 New Member Member

Whats up guys I just wanted your opinion on my current situation. I have a 125 African Cichlid tank. Towards the back glass I have dead spots that is causing poop to build up and just sit there. I was thinking of ordering a powerhead and putting it a couple inches above the gravel line and mounting it on one of the sides of the tank. I was thinking of the Maxi-jet pro 400 or 600 configured as a circulation pump. What do you guys think?

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I'm not going to say it won't work, but debris is always find a place to settle. Just like leaves in the fall gather in a certain corner of the yard next to a building or fence. I am just thinking you'll wind up with a different spot unless you could raise fish in a washing machine. I have one of those spots in the back corner of my 55 gallon tank that I have to pull the debris out with my finger so the siphoning hose can pick it up. I'm not saying it won't work and may definitely be worth a try. I'm just pointing out that you may just be switching the collection spot elsewhere.

3. OP
    OP
    K

hmm thats true well i ordered the 600 anyway. I have a decent amount of waterflow but its just in the back where the deadspots are. I dont have anywhere else in the tank where poop collects so much.

4. finnipper59

Good luck with that. I really want you to post and let us know how your idea works. If it does, I will copy cat you. I just did a water change about an hour ago and had to finger pull that blob out of my usual catch corner.

5. OP
    OP
    K

So i tried this with the 600 and the 400 in circulation mode. They were both too strong. Actually so strong the current was pinning the fish against the rocks and was pulling the top of my tallest plant towards the pump lol. So it was a good idea but I just put in the wave maker mode with the bubbles. I know I don't need it on an African Cichlid tank it it does look cool!

6. finnipper59

I'll bet it does look cool. As far as fish poop collecting in a spot, tanks have square corners where water just flows over and deposits whatever it's carrying. But if we used round tanks either it would collect in the center if we had the water flowing in a circle or continuously float around the tank making the water look nasty. I've just spent years pulling it out of that back left corner with my finger before I vacuum.