Power To Pump/powerhead Question

Cherrybat

Hello, this year will be my first time trying out a simple backyard pond. I got a 50 gallon container and once all the snow melts completely I will begin the digging/scaping, very excited

However, I have a potentially dumb question that I haven't been able to google properly. My 2 ideas for filtration right now are either a large sponge filter with an air pump or a diy planter full of media above the pond with a powerhead or a pump to drive water into it and then cascade back down into the pond. So the question is, how do people get power to their pond pumps?!

I have an outside plug, you know the special one that can get wet and all that. So I was going to run an extension to my backyard shed, set an air pump in the shed so it's quiet and DRY and then run a long-ish air tube to the pond. The distances are very short here, the extension would be around.. idk 10 meters? Air line maybe 5 meters. And as for the powerhead/pump I have no idea how to power it, can the power plug get wet? Do you hide the plug somewhere so it doesn't get wet? I just have no idea and the pond won't be close enough to the shed so I could have the plug inside it.

I have watched a bunch of diy backyard pond videos, but everyone just brushes past the pump/powerhead without explaining how they get power to it, ****, am I just missing something obvious here?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Skavatar

there are outdoor pond pumps and extension cords for outdoor use that can get wet.

Cherrybat

Thanks for the reply. Well most videos or guides for small ponds i've seen used regular old small aquarium pumps. I know that outdoor extensions can get wet, but I was worried about.. where the pump would plug in.. i'm not sure what it's called, the plug connection.

Anyway, I didn't know this existed, or that you can just put some good tape around the connection and be done with it. Now I know.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom