Power Outage Help 

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want to power multiple tanks maybe get a dual outlet pump? Unless you already purchased one.. Lol
That's so unfortunate that wasn't enough to keep your tank going... I once lost my pump for about a week and was somehow barely able to keep my cycle alive in it.. Ridiculous your filters aren't enough for you...
Hopefully everything stablizes soon.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pagoda said:
When my power went out I threw some of my favourite bio gel balls in the aquariums, I guess that kept levels of nasties under control sufficiently cos my fish are gallivanting all over the place today, no issues at all despite losing filters etc for over 4 hours
Do you have a link to these? Never heard of them and id like to add these to my emergency kit if this ever happens again

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crazycoryfishlady said:
If you want to power multiple tanks maybe get a dual outlet pump? Unless you already purchased one.. Lol
That's so unfortunate that wasn't enough to keep your tank going... I once lost my pump for about a week and was somehow barely able to keep my cycle alive in it.. Ridiculous your filters aren't enough for you...
Hopefully everything stablizes soon.
The air pump had a splitter, but a 10 gallon power pump stopped powering the 3 splits it was originally powering before the outage. I dont know why and ive fussed all morning trying to fix it without any luck.

I think the problem comes down to the fact that my cycled media was in my sponge filter which stopped working for over 24 hours now even if my HOB was working after 6 hours--it has a new cartridge in it so it wouldn't be considered cycled by itself. But my old cartridge fell apart and wouldnt fit in the slot anymore, so i had no choice but to put the used fiber into the sponge filter to keep my cycle. Didnt expect this to fail like this :/ i have a bag of bio media in the HOB too, but its just over a month old being added, so while it should have been cycled, it doesnt seem to have helped.

Im just grateful the community tank has the hardier species in it. Though, a month old molly fry isnt quite that hardy yet so it makes sense he wouldnt have made it as easily. If my blackwater tank failed, id have much heavier losses. That tank has 6 loaches and two cories. Plus a dwarf gourami, but all of them made it through the outage and their filter is up and running fine. Everyone is unaffected.

My betta boy's 5 gal is without a filter atm because i had to keep it hooked up only to the crashed tank. Im currently on the road to go get a new pump to fix all this (on the bus, i dont drive lol) so its a temporary thing. Not like hes bothered by any of this. Just busy making his bubble nest without a care

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NoodleKeeper said:
The air pump had a splitter, but a 10 gallon power pump stopped powering the 3 splits it was originally powering before the outage. I dont know why and ive fussed all morning trying to fix it without any luck.

I think the problem comes down to the fact that my cycled media was in my sponge filter which stopped working for over 24 hours now even if my HOB was working after 6 hours--it has a new cartridge in it so it wouldn't be considered cycled by itself. But my old cartridge fell apart and wouldnt fit in the slot anymore, so i had no choice but to put the used fiber into the sponge filter to keep my cycle. Didnt expect this to fail like this :/ i have a bag of bio media in the HOB too, but its just over a month old being added, so while it should have been cycled, it doesnt seem to have helped.

Im just grateful the community tank has the hardier species in it. Though, a month old molly fry isnt quite that hardy yet so it makes sense he wouldnt have made it as easily. If my blackwater tank failed, id have much heavier losses. That tank has 6 loaches and two cories. Plus a dwarf gourami, but all of them made it through the outage and their filter is up and running fine. Everyone is unaffected.

My betta boy's 5 gal is without a filter atm because i had to keep it hooked up only to the crashed tank. Im currently on the road to go get a new pump to fix all this (on the bus, i dont drive lol) so its a temporary thing. Not like hes bothered by any of this. Just busy making his bubble nest without a care
The pumps I have are rated for 40-60 gallons and have dual outlets, so you don't need a splitter to power two tanks.
I currently have two 20 gallon spong filters and 2 hob filters on my 55 using one of these pumps.
Then I have the other pump hooked up to two filters in a 20 long, and one filter in a 10 gallon, only needing one splitter for 3 filters. And I could still split the line even more...
I don't think it's exactly that the pump you had is working lesser, more than it's not supposed to be split 3 ways, but generally a max of only 2 ways.
Epsecially for a 10 gallon rated one.
It just lessens the pressure, and you would've had to mess with it for hours on end to get it in the right spot again.

It's sort of like if you tried to take one sponge and split it between 3 tanks, but hoping it will still work the same as if it was one large sponge, I guess. It can't when it's been divided by so much.
You'll have extra power with a higher rated filter, extra outlet lines, and a less likely hood of losing any filters if you have a power outage, since it's actually overrated instead of underrated.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crazycoryfishlady said:
The pumps I have are rated for 40-60 gallons and have dual outlets, so you don't need a splitter to power two tanks.
I currently have two 20 gallon spong filters and 2 hob filters on my 55 using one of these pumps.
Then I have the other pump hooked up to two filters in a 20 long, and one filter in a 10 gallon, only needing one splitter for 3 filters. And I could still split the line even more...
I don't think it's exactly that the pump you had is working lesser, more than it's not supposed to be split 3 ways, but generally a max of only 2 ways.
Epsecially for a 10 gallon rated one.
It just lessens the pressure, and you would've had to mess with it for hours on end to get it in the right spot again.

It's sort of like if you tried to take one sponge and split it between 3 tanks, but hoping it will still work the same as if it was one large sponge, I guess. It can't when it's been divided by so much.
You'll have extra power with a higher rated filter, extra outlet lines, and a less likely hood of losing any filters if you have a power outage, since it's actually overrated instead of underrated.
Thats what im thinking. It wont even run 2 tanks anymore even just as a bubbler. It refuses to. So gonna get a stronger one to run 2 tanks on and keep the weak one for the 5 gal. Originally we just had the one tank but then added more and it worked fine between them but now no. Thinking before i may have just been lucky there. Very harsh lesson learned.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the sponge filter remained submerged, it should've still had BB on it. I guess not enough though? Who knows. At this point you can only move forward and try to fix what's gone wrong.

I have problems with my air pumps as well. You'd think a pump rated for a 40 gallon wouldn't have problems supplying 7, 3, and 10 gallons through a gang valve, but I have to adjust the airflow to each just right for them all to get air.
Same story with a pump rated for 10 gallons. The 5 gallon line gets all the air and the 1.5 gallon gets a few bubbles. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or what. I have noticed that sometimes moving the airline to the 1.5 affects the air pressure somehow.

I do know that the air pumps show to have the pump raised higher than the tanks. I don't know if that has any affect. I don't have furniture that tall...

Kmshyamsunder

Reaction score
NoodleKeeper said:
During a heat wave, we are under a heat advisory so im not worried about temperatures, but i am worried about filtration.

One tank is run under a sponge filter and the other two have HOB plus an extra sponge filter... how long can the tanks go without filtration? Two have live plants.

We dont know how long the power will be out, its only our block. Pretty sure a car knocked out a pole.

I have two bettas and a dwarf gourami which are air breathers, but im worried about my mollies, tetras, cories, and loaches...
I have faced this.
The solution is simple. You can make diy set up with
Get 9 or 12 volt dc motors number is left to your choice. These motors run 9 volts Duracell or you can hook these 12 volt car or any other 9 or 12 volt poet source.
to make siphon to draw water from the tank and flow the water to top filter .
Many diy stuff is available on you tube. This will solve the filtration problem you can modify it to your needs

Link on you tube

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Got a stronger pump which is working perfect for my two bigger tanks and then kept the 10 gallon pump for my betta's tank so hoping to keep everyone alive now, but ill only update this thread after this if things take a turn.

Photo, the 5gal sponge filter bubbling away

Attachments

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pagoda said:
Sorry for the delay....was sleeping

Gel bio balls...ideal for cancelling out ammonia & other nasties

Pure Aquarium
Oh thank you, these look great! Def being bookmarked and will be happy to get these. So these, a battery operated pump, and a friend suggested the seachem ammo guard that you stick on the tank and it notifies all the time... i think itll be handy to use in combo with the API Masterkit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom