Power Outage What Should I Do?

1. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey , I've been keeping fish for 5+ years and never had to deal with a power outage , I have 8 aquariums , one is currently housing my corydora fry , my QT tank is housing my fancy goldfish that had dropsy been in treatment for 8 days and he is doing much better but his temp is at 80f and their is medication ughhhhh. What steps should I take? I have no idea how long it's been I just woke up and their was no electricity, I called the city they said their doing maintenance in my area they don't know for sure when it'll be back on today. What about all my cycled media? What about surface agitation to create oxygen for my fish?

Thank in advance

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I wish we could go 5 years without a power cut! We get them all the time.
    Basically on the tanks with more delicate fish I'll do a small water change every 2 hours. When you put the new water in try to create as much surface agitation as possible. The new water should be the temperature the tank is meant to be at so if the tank has cooled a bit then the new water will help warm it up.
    I get all the filter media and put it in a bucket. If you've got a battery powered air pump then put an airstone in there but if not just scoop out some water every so often and pour it back in to oxygenate the water.
    Wrap blankets around the tanks to keep them warm. For smaller tanks putting hand warmers around them can help.

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

1) keep for filter media wet, and unplug everything. This will preserve the BB- they don't necessarily need water flow to stay alive, they just need to remain wet and get some oxygen (mentioned below). If the power has been out for more than 6 hours, your nitrifying bacteria may have taken a hit because of the anaerobic conditions, so you'll want to watch that. If you've got canisters, open them up a bit and rinse the media in tank water to rinse them off and expose a bit of air. You can even collect the media all in one bucket.

2) as for the oxygen, use any bucket or clean Tupperware container and poke holes in it. Then pour the tank water through the container with buckets to create the surface agitation. It will be tedious, but at least you'll have the surface agitation you need. You'll know when to do this when your fish start hanging out near the surface; this is when you should repeat the bucket process

3) for the temperature, if it's at a warmer tenperature for your warm fish, then it should be okay, but keep it wrapped in blankets or styrofoam to insulate the heat. Smaller tanks lose heat faster than larger tanks; you can use hand warmers. As for the goldfish; float some ice in a baggies to gradually lower the temp; a couple of ice cubes at a time is okay.

Edit: just saw @BottomDweller

4. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Thanks so much I'll get on it I just found out that it's been off for the past 4 hours and it'll be off for another 3 hours so total time 7 hours.

5. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I have battery powered air pumps in case of emergencies

6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Thanks so much , currently no fish are hanging at the top. What really worries me is my goldfish in QT with the temp really high and lots of medication in his tank, also my corydora fry tank as well worries me.

I'll do everything as suggested by you and bottomdweller, hopefully the power will be on shortly.

apenrently it's been off for 4 hours and it'll be off for another 3 hours so total time will be 7 houts.

7. Nart Well Known Member Member

Bust out the straws and start blowing bubbles in the tank. Kidding, just trying to help de-stress you a bit :)

Like others have suggested already, wrap the tanks in blanket. the temperature shouldn't be too much of a worry.
    Are you able to pick up a hand-held battery operated pump from the LFS? I think petco sells them too? If not, do what others have suggested already to agitate the surface of the water to provide oxygen in the tank.

8. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

haha thanks

the only issue is I would need 8 battery operated bumps for 8 of my aquariums.

I left my media in the filters and every so often I just pour some aquarium water on top of the media making sure they stay wet is that okay?, all my tanks have dropped about 2 degrees in temp so far so I did a small water change in my main tanks bringing back up temp. My other tanks I took a cup made some holes it in and let the aquarium water drip.

I'm sitting in my fish room and never realised how quiet it is without all the air pumps, hob and canister filters running , it honestly feels so weird, I love the sound my aquariums make.

once the power goes back on what are my first steps? I've read online to do large water changes on all tanks is this true? do I turn back on my filters right away?

9. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Lol, it really is an eerie sound...too much quiet :p

Personally, I had only every done large WC after the power outage and once the filters have kicked on fully (and yes, turn them on right away, but tank by tank. Don't wanna plug in all your hardware to only blow out the fuses...lol, I've done that). And my reasoning for this is if you have planted aquariums, substarte,etc , you risk stirring up all that junk (or ammonia, etc pockets) without a filter there to back you up. It's okay if you have barebottom tanks, as it doesn't matter, but it's a bit worrisome with "filled" tanks.

10. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

oh ok sounds good so you recommend once the power turns back on I do large water changes on each tank? 30% or more like 50%? my fish are already used to 50% cause that's what I do weekly on each tank.

but hahaha make senses I'll slowly turn on filters tank by tank. :)

I don't currently have any but I can get some would you also recommend me dosing the tank with stability after the large water changes?

11. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Yup. I do 50% because that's my fish are used to as well. So 50% should be fine (plus, your power outage is going to last longer than any of mine have)

And a dose of Stability wouldn't hurt because you weren't there to monitor for 3 hours and your BB may have taken a hit. But I'd only dose a little bit, maybe half or a fourth of the dose. But of course test your water after 24 hours of it completely running again; if the parameters are good, you're fine and don't dose anymore.

If it looks like a mini cycle, then dose the full amount. And handle it like any other mini cycle :). You'll most likely have to watch the smaller tanks because they are the most susceptible, larger tanks usually handle it much better.

12. Bruce Rechichar Initiate Member

I picked up a battery powered pump just in case. I recently had to google this now that I have 2 tanks (5 gallon starter kit 1 year old, 26 gallon new) my wife and I figured we need to prepare for possible rolling blackouts in California.

13. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the help , much appreciated , the power just came on right now as I'm typing !!

I'm going to turn the filters on and start doing some large water changes.

Thanks again!!

14. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Good luck!!

Lol...literally what happened to me during the heat wave two weeks ago. Good ole Cali :p

15. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I was out of town when a storm hit home and we lost power. It was almost 16 hours before I was able to get home and hook up the generator. Everyone was fine, no ammonia spikes or anything. I suggest just keeping an eye on your parameters before you go crazy. That said, a water change never hurts! Just wanted to give you a bit of a good news type thing .

16. Nart Well Known Member Member

You wouldn't need 8 pumps, maybe 2 max? If the tanks are relatively close to each other... get multiple gang valves.

But yeah... I purchased a back-up battery earlier this week, as you never know... Mightynanotank's Im25 Lagoon Build

17. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Ya my tanks have some distance between eachother, they aren't side by side and not all are in the same in room.

18. Goldfishgirlgirl Well Known Member Member

I thot the AquaClear filters automatically drain all the water from the bucket holding bio media when unplugged or power outage ? How could we keep the media wet when we r asleep and don’t realize about the sudden power outage

19. Nart Well Known Member Member

@Goldfishgirlgirl Not true. When the power goes out for the AQ. There's still the pool of water in it's reservoir that never gets drained out unless you manually dump it out. So if your media sits below the reservoirs water line, you should be okay.