Power Outage Question - How Long Can Tank Go Without Air?

Fritzer

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hurricane coming. How long can a tank go with out air? 55 gallon, plants, 4 rasbora, 3 green eyed rasboras, 4 minnows, 1 otocinlus, 3 Kerry catfish, 1 betta, 1 Siamese alge eater, 1 pleco catfish.
Any suggestions?

RainBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do agree with the storing up the water. If you take some out, then put it back in to create air bubbles, that should oxygenize the water for awhile.
Also, the air from the surface will be close to enough for now.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your stocked a little heavier then I am but due to flooding I just went four and a half days without power and never did anything to my tank. Temp went down to 74 from 79 but no loss of fish or problems .Usually I have the oxygen tablets fishermen use for bait buckets but I forgot to restock them. Your stocking I would say 2 days till you would have to start doing anything and then its only a matter of scooping out some water and pouring it back in to disrupt the surface promoting gas exchange. Please don't pour boiling water into your tank the temp will drop slowly and once you regain power it will slowly warm back up.

Inactive User

Well Known
Reaction score
A DIY solution is to take a soda bottle, poke a few small holes in the bottom, suspend it over the tank however you wish, and fill the bottle with tank water: the impact of the slowly draining tank water should provide a modicum of surface disturbance and aeration.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Another solution is a UPS unit that,s used for computers. Depending on the filter you are running and how many watts it draws will determine what size UPS you would want to get. The FX 4 filter draws about 35w an hour so for me to run that filter constantly for a 24 hour period I would need about a 900w UPS unit. Now that battery life can be extended by running the filter for an hour every 2-3 hrs to circulate the water and promote O2 exchange at the surface. There's also battery powered air pumps that are in the fishing section of most stores.

Marcus_Guppies

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fritzer said:
Hurricane coming. How long can a tank go with out air? 55 gallon, plants, 4 rasbora, 3 green eyed rasboras, 4 minnows, 1 otocinlus, 3 Kerry catfish, 1 betta, 1 Siamese alge eater, 1 pleco catfish.
Any suggestions?
You also have to deal with the heat but you should be good nothing more than a week or so

CameronWilcox04

Reaction score
I would say about a week. Anything more could cause your fish to die. I used to live in South Carolina, and during Hurricane Matthew my entire yard flooded and we had no power for two weeks. I forced my mom and dad to run my fish tank on our generator because my fish started to gasp for air at the top of the tank after about five days. At the time, I had a guppy tank that was only babies that I had bred and raised so I was really attached to them. But what I would do is try to run your fish tank on a generator. If you don't have one, all you can do is hope that your power isn't out for that long. I hope everything goes well and stay safe during the hurricane!!!
Sincerely,
Cameron

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in Florida, so I've seen my fair share of storms lol. There are actually battery surge protectors now! I have them for my 37 gallon and 55. They're surge protector power strips that also store some power. I got them after there were some surges in my area that messed up my filters. These will safely shut things off once the battery itself runs out of power, so storms don't mess them up!

New Threads