Power Outage Question Airation

Aristotle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all, I’m taking care of 6 lovely white skirt tetras in a 20 gallon tall tank. So not even close to overstocked.

However my question is it appears we will be getting a bad storm soon, I placed an order for a battery powered aerator but it won’t be here until after the storm..

Anyway, I’ve done a 40% waterchange in preparation, and stocking warm(er) water Incase we lose power, but I have no battery powered airstone so I will have to do it by hand if the power goes out.

From what I’ve found online I can do this manually by simply taking a cup of tank water and pouring it in by hand, but my question is how many times will I have to do this throughout the power outage if we do lose power? Since I’m understocked ( only 6 fish in a 20 gallon tall ) I don’t think it will be a huge concern but would appreciate some information beforehand. Right now the water is oxygenated though a 20-50 gallon filter and big airstone.

Thanks

Siphon

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
our power was out for 12 hours and I just put blankets over my tanks and they were fine. dropped 5 degrees. No air stone or anything

My house lost its heat so it was really cold in the house too

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anything less then 24hrs I wouldn’t be too concerned about, I would pour a cup of water through the filter every so often though, just to keep it fresh for the BB.
Most important is to stay safe, there are a lot of crazy storms going on right now!

OP
Aristotle

Aristotle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Siphon said:
our power was out for 12 hours and I just put blankets over my tanks and they were fine. dropped 5 degrees. No air stone or anything

My house lost its heat so it was really cold in the house too
Do you know if say it was a day or two, how often I should “ aerate the water “ with the manual method I described above? It would make me feel better if I had a plan for the worst case scenario.

Siphon

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jocelyn Adelman said:
Anything less then 24hrs I wouldn’t be too concerned about, I would pour a cup of water through the filter every so often though, just to keep it fresh for the BB.
Most important is to stay safe, there are a lot of crazy storms going on right now!
I like to move my bio media to a media bag and put an airstone under it in the tank for my bb. But the op doesn't have an airpump

Ide just keep an eye out for the fish gasping, and use the cup metheod till they turned normal again

OP
Aristotle

Aristotle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jocelyn Adelman said:

I’ve read that the filter should be left alone and cleaned prior to powerup to avoid the waste building up and dumping into the tank when the power comes up, but I guess periodically pouring water through it could solve that problem?

When you say every so often would you recommend once an hour? More or less? Thanks for your time

Siphon said:
I like to move my bio media to a media bag and put an airstone under it in the tank for my bb. But the op doesn't have an airpump

Ide just keep an eye out for the fish gasping, and use the cup metheod till they turned normal again
I plan to wrap the tank with blankets ( if power goes out ) because it will be 30 f or less here, so it may be hard to keep an eye on their gasping / behavior especially at night. Edit: but of course I’ll do my best to monitor their behavior.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’d say while you are awake every hr or two should work.... wrapping in blankets is important to maintain temp...
biggest issues will be
1) ammonia and nitrite buildup from lack of filter... dose prime for tank volume every 24hrs until filter running again
2) maintaining heat in cold house
3) bacteria in filter dying off due to lack of food... hence the cup of tank water to the filter... also adds oxygenation for the Bb as well as food for them
4) stagnant water... pouring water (freshwater or tank water) will help this some.... just be sure to raise the cup high enough to create splash and movement, can even stir up the tank some.

Likely I missed something, if I did sorry....

Oh, 5) fingers crossed the power doesn’t go out at all

OP
Aristotle

Aristotle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jocelyn Adelman said:
I’d say while you are awake every hr or two should work.... wrapping in blankets is important to maintain temp...
biggest issues will be
1) ammonia and nitrite buildup from lack of filter... dose prime for tank volume every 24hrs until filter running again
2) maintaining heat in cold house
3) bacteria in filter dying off due to lack of food... hence the cup of tank water to the filter... also adds oxygenation for the Bb as well as food for them
4) stagnant water... pouring water (freshwater or tank water) will help this some.... just be sure to raise the cup high enough to create splash and movement, can even stir up the tank some.

Likely I missed something, if I did sorry....

Oh, 5) fingers crossed the power doesn’t go out at all

Haha oh yes number 5 is going to be my go to for now. And thanks for your time Jocelyn and all others who post / posted. It’s funny to me I’m less worried about myself and more concerned over the fish. They just seem like fragile creatures, although these tetras have been fairly hardy.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The King of DIY has a method on his youtube channel. Watch the video.

You will need:
Water bottle
airhose
Airstone
Hydrogen peroxide
potato slices

drill a hole on top of the bottle cap.
Add airhose through the hole
Add airstone on the end of the airhose

Add hydrogen peroxide.
Add potato slices.
Oxygen comes out.