Power outage on mre guppy tank

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by LindaMS, Jul 18, 2015.

1. LindaMS

LindaMS Valued Member Member

Hi again all,

I posted a question asking if my two new guppy girls were pregnant the other day and just after it appears they are we had a massive snow fall in Katoomba.

The result of this being the power died and so the fairly new tank had no filter, air pump or heater for about 12 hours I think. This caused the temperature to drop to 19 or below (my temp reader only goes down to 19). Both my girls had really slowed down and were sitting at the bottom of the tank. It is now back to normal but one of my guppies is behaving oddly now, lurking behind the filter a lot, not going after the food but does come out to chase the other one occasionally.

The weird thing is her aggresion towards the other one while she appears to be the one who is weakest or not doing so well. I tested the tank today to check all ok and PH was somewhere around 7.0-7.2, Nitrate and Nitrites both 0, Ammonia 0. It is a 40 litre tank.

The active girl appears to have put on weight already where they had both been the same.

Could the sudden temp drop cause this? I am also not sure if i am imagining it but the aggressive girl appears to have a couple of tiny light spots on her body that I do not think were there when I got her. Fungus? Again could this be through the large temp drop from around 24 to below 19? (I was wearing gloves indoors it was so cold ).

Hoping for any assistance.

Cheers
    Linda

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

It could be an onset of disease caused by the cold temperature stressing the fish and lowing the immune system.
    I'm honestly surprised they lived in 19 degree water, shouldn't it have frozen over?
    The first time I ever culled a guppy I used the ice water method and it died around 50 degrees. The water may have not gotten as cold as you think it did.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. TSzabo

TSzabo Valued Member Member

Nympxzie Im pretty sure it was 19 celcius not 19 fahrenheit. 19c = 66f

Gotta keep in mind there are many members here that are not from the US and dont use the backwards imperial scales

5. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

The aggressive guppy sounds like she got Ich, do the spots look like tiny bits of salt?

6. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi Tiny Goatfish

No I looked at the pics of ICH and this looks softer and very faint, but I am stressing too! She is not rubbing at all. The other girl goes for her flakes and wolfs them down but although this girl is now out and swimming again she was not interested in eating that I could see.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Linda

I have added some some stress zyme to the tank even though all readings yesterday were good as Pet Barn suggested it. They would though I guess...

I am hoping it is going to improve as she is at least swimming around today but am still concerned that these very pale spots were not there a couple of days ago.
    Please see attached pics of the progression.

7. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi Nympxzie
    It was 19 degrees Centigrade or possibly below as it was only around 6 degrees inside the house. That is about 66F I think at the most when I had them at around 75F. While 60 is may not kill them I have read it is the amount of the drop ie 10 degree or more difference that would cause the stress.
    Just not sure what is wrong now that the stress has been caused.
    Cheers
    Linda

8. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Well today girl 1 spots are a bit more fuzzy looking and a bit bigger, girl 2 also has a spot so I bought Melafix and Pimafix and I am trying those in the hope it improves. Still haven't seen girl 1 eat. How long before she starves?

Although having said that I did have a few (approx 10) very small pond snails that came with some weed on driftwood. Could she have eaten them? The are conspicuous by their absence tonight...

Cheers
    Linda

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice