Power Outage last night....advice for future?

capekate
HI All ;D
Well last nite we got hit with a tail end of storm Noel... and lost power for 12 hours. No air pump... no heater... no filter. UGGGH...
My poor discus did not do well in temps that plunged to 72* from 85*. They are stressed right now.. but starting to come around. One got hurt, probably got spooked somehow and hit a decoration and has a mark on its side.
But happy to say that all my fish are alive.. and I think they are going to be ok. Will have to watch them today...
My question is:
What can I do to prepare for future power failure? Another Nor'easter can knock the power out again and this time it may be in the winter. Aside from buying an expensive generator what can I get for the tanks?
Is there anything out there like a battery powered heater? I know there are powered air pumps that run on battery and will get some asap, since I think they felt the affect of no areation in the tanks.
Any suggestions or links to products that would help in the future are greatly appreciated!
thanks,
~ kate

Dino
How is your home heated?

When we had 5 days of power outage back in 93, we used the gas stove to heat tank water and slowly added it back to the tank thus keeping the water warm.

Tank temperatures can be kept elevated by wrapping the tank in blankets.
Placing plastic wrap across the top of the tank, sealing it, will also keep heat in.
Chemical hand warmers, taped to the sides of tanks, can keep the heat up with smaller tanks.

I personally do no think aeoration is good for tanks if loosing heat is an issue.
By increasing the surface area with bubbles, you are excellerating the heat loss.

capekate
HI Dino
Thanks for your input. We have a gas stove and can heat up the water and slowly replace as needed. I did that this am when I woke up. We also have a fireplace in the living room where there are three tanks set up. So I'm sure by using the fireplace that can help in the winter with keeping the room warm. Thanks for the tip on the plastic wrap over the top of the tank. I like the idea of those hand warmers for the smaller tanks as well... great idea!
Other than heating up the water on the gas stove and replacing it as needed over the course of say a night of power outage, is there any battery powered heaters out there?
thanks so much..
~ kate

Dino
I do not know of any battery operated heaters.
With as many tanks as are here, it is easier to heat the room, not individual tanks.

capekate
Yep.. I hear that! I guess I didnt realize that the temps were going to fall that much, I should have known better. Water sure does chill fast!
I guess the magic wand just doesn't produce any battery opted heaters, and how would it work anyway? Hmmm....

~ kate

capekate
I found some articles on about on a DIY 12v generator. Interesting for the mechanically inclined to take a look at.

Also the idea of using plastic bottle filled with hot water and floating in the tank, they used a 55 gallon tank and filled the bottles with hot water, after removing some tank water so that the bottles added didnt spill water out, they said that the bottles stayed warm for about 45 minutes at 78* test. Hot water stays at the top of the tank, so at times tank water poured over the bottles would pull some of the warm water down into the tank. never pour boiling water into the tank, ( of course) but I think just adding warm water like Dino said little at a time would work as well.

~ kate

justhelping
I have a battery backup that all my plugins for my tank are plugged into. It's like an electrical box that you keep plugged into the wall & it has plugins on it. I'm sure different ones have different number of plugins. Mine has 5. When the electric goes off, this box beeps & the battery in it starts taking over for the electricity. The filter & lights & heater & airstone keep working.

I don't know how long mine is made to last, but one time the electric was out for 2 or 3 hrs. & it was still working. I believe they are mainly made to keep computers & cash registers working if the power fails, but they work on anything you plug into them. Depending on how long you want them to last depends on how much you want to pay for one. Mine was given to me by my husband, but if you do a net search on battery backups, you may find one that is within your budget. Also look up what to do with your filter pads in case of a power outage, cause if I remember right they shouldn't be sitting in a filter with no water in it for more than an hr.. I think they are supposed to be removed & put into the tank, in that case, but check the net, just to be sure. I wish you luck in finding what you need.

Butterfly
Very interesting information Justhelping Any pictures of the battery back up ? would be interesting to see.
Carol

capekate
HI justhelping...
thanks so much for that bit o' information. That battery backup sounds like just what I would be needing. I will do a google search and see what I come up with. ;D
Thank you for the advice on the filter sponge etc. I did check the filter box and there was enough water in it to keep the sponge moist. Your right about that, a person doesn't want to let that filter media dry out!

Thanks for your help!
~ kate

COBettaCouple
yea, we've seen some good ones for about $100 or so. when power does fail, you can make the battery last longer but just running the filters.

capekate
I have been googling 'battery back up' and seem to only find ones that are used on computer systems or for air pumps, which I have seen the azoo battery op air pump. If any one has a link to this item like JustHelping was talking about, or if Dave has a link to ones that he knows of, Id really appreciate it.
thanks,
~ kate

Marc
It's probably one for computer systems. And you'll need one that's about rated for that. The average computer draws about 400W with it's power supply, and your heater probably isn't higher than 300W. However, longer lasting usually means more expensive and I don't know of any that would last more than a few hours at full blast.

capekate
It's probably one for computer systems. And you'll need one that's about rated for that. The average computer draws about 400W with it's power supply, and your heater probably isn't higher than 300W. However, longer lasting usually means more expensive and I don't know of any that would last more than a few hours at full blast.

Thanks Marc,
I noticed that the ones for the pc's only lasted a few hours or so and more than that was pretty expensive when I researched online for them,as you stated.
Still... I really want to find something that is going to help the fish in times of power outages. The bettas were fine and so were the angelfish and the GBRs, the cardinal tetras are doing great. The only ones that were really affected were the Discus fish. It really took all day before they are starting to act like their old selves again.
~ kate

justhelping
Ok capekate, I'll tell you everything I know about mine. First off, sorry, I can't get a picture of it, but I can describe it. It's a white box that sits under my aquarium on the bottom shelf & is very heavy. It's white & measures approximately 6" wide, 11" long & 3 1/2" high. My husband sells these for $229.00. What I see on this back-up is this:
Cyber Power 625 AVR
Intelligent Back-up Power with Automatic Voltage Regulator

My husband sells business machines & that is why he had this one on hand to give me. He also sells all the extras that go with machines. This box is like the ones you saw on the net that you said were for computers & such. He sells these to his customers for their computers & cash registers. This particular one will run 1 computer & 4 cash registers for 15 min. after a power outage. That allows plenty of time for the retailers to finish any transactions they may be in the middle of at the time of the outage. But it will also run anything else you plug into it that has 110 power, like our aquarium stuff. The more stuff you have plugged into it & the more powerful they are, the shorter the time the battery will last.

When I told you mine ran for hrs. after an outage (until the electric came back on) I said I had my aquarium heater plugged into it along with my other aquarium stuff. I may have been mistaken about that, cause it happened this summer. My heater should have been turned off or not plugged in at the time. I really don't remember, but my husband said of all my aquarium stuff, the heater will use the most power.

I did a net search just like you last winter after our electric was out for 1 week! The generators were too much money & so were the battery back-ups that I wanted. I wanted one that would last for a day or two cause I don't expect to have another ice storm like the one we had this last winter where we out of electric for a week. But I wouldn't be surprised if we were out again for a day or two. Anyway, they were all expensive, so I settled for what my husband gave me. I'm hoping I don't need to test it's limits sometime.
I know it's frustrating when money is short, so once again I wish you luck!

COBettaCouple
a few hours really is the best I know of without going broke and even those are, as you saw, expensive. I've seen a pretty decent one at CostCo for $100, but I don't have the specs on it - I could get them next time i'm there if you'd like.

jsalemi
Just a thought, but in a case like this couldn't you wrap an old blanket around the tank to keep the heat in? It may not keep the temp stable, but it'll keep it from dropping quite so fast.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views