Power Outage For 3 Hours, Should I Test All Our Tanks? Question

1. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

Hi team.

We have 4 tanks with fish atm. 2 are QTs.

Today (after my daily tests on tanks where we've added fish within the last week) the power went out for about 3 hours.

We have battery dual power airpumps on 2 tanks, but our QTs didn't have air or filter. no tanks had running filter s during the outage although my partner keep the hob style ones wet every hour.

do I need to test them all tonight or can I simply test in the morning?

all the fish are acting fine & I did a 33% wc in one tank for weekly maintenance. added stress coat but no prime (our water is rainwater, don't freak out about conditioning) :)

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Personally, I think you're absolutely fine, 3 hours isn't very long. If you want to test to be safe, I'd do it tomorrow. If by some crazy chance you're tanks uncycled, it wouldn't test poorly until at least a day, especially since you did water changes. Again, I'm willing to bet everything is totally fine.

3. OP
    OP
    Jenoli42

thanks. I figured but wanted expert opinions from this forum :)

4. OP
    OP
    Jenoli42

UPDATE: we were right. all the tanks were dead 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite...except the fantasy bowfront. it had about .1 ammonia which is less than the day before at .25. (we added fish recently so it's spiking just a bit). phew!

the storm that hit our power has continued up the North Island of NZ and thousands of homes in our biggest city, Auckland, will be without power for days. this is a big wake up call for us to sort out alternatives in the very near future.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

That’s good to hear! There is an alternative for power outages, generators!