Power outage!!! emergency

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
hello everyone!!! i need some help, i have had fish for abt a year and only had the power go out briefly one other time, but this time the power still hasnt come on, it has been at least 8 hrs. worst comes to worst i will transfer the tanks to my grandpas house but thats a pain bc i have multiple tanks that r above 10 gallons. along with a ton of schooling fish and shrimp. how should i deal with this poweroutage? oh, another thing to note is that i m going away for two days tmrw so i dont know what to do. please help!!!

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
hello everyone!!! i need some help, i have had fish for abt a year and only had the power go out briefly one other time, but this time the power still hasnt come on, it has been at least 8 hrs. worst comes to worst i will transfer the tanks to my grandpas house but thats a pain bc i have multiple tanks that r above 10 gallons. along with a ton of schooling fish and shrimp. how should i deal with this poweroutage? oh, another thing to note is that i m going away for two days tmrw so i dont know what to do. please help!!!
I would say you would be fine. If anyonee else is there. I would jusst assk them to put in a water bottle with hot watere to warm up the tank. 2 days with no feeding should be efine for the fish. gl

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
FishBoy101 said:
I would say you would be fine. If anyonee else is there. I would jusst assk them to put in a water bottle with hot watere to warm up the tank. 2 days with no feeding should be efine for the fish. gl
thanks so much! my shrimp tank noe that im thinking would be ok at room temp, and i only feed once every two days anyways. i have two tanks tho that have to be around 80 bc i have bettas and some schooling fish, they can feed them im just worried abt the temp

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
thanks so much! my shrimp tank noe that im thinking would be ok at room temp, and i only feed once every two days anyways. i have two tanks tho that have to be around 80 bc i have bettas and some schooling fish, they can feed them im just worried abt the temp
gl

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had 2 power outages this summer, the longest was 4 days and 3 nights, the temp in my tropical tanks dropped 10 degrees. The fish are fine. Had a power outage in the winter, 3-4 nights, the temp dropped from 79 to 68 and no casualties.
If someone is home, it is a good idea to scoop tank water in a cup and pour it back in creating a little bit of a splash to aerate the water. I did not remember to do this the first time the power went out and the fish were still fine. But if you have a large amount of fish in the tank, oxygen runs out faster.
fish can go for 2 weeks without food, 2 days is nothing.
Moving the tanks would be more dangerous then waiting for the power to come back.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When we had a 24 hour power outage i lost 3 sterbai and a gold ram :(

Noroomforshoe said:
I have had 2 power outages this summer, the longest was 4 days and 3 nights, the temp in my tropical tanks dropped 10 degrees. The fish are fine. Had a power outage in the winter, 3-4 nights, the temp dropped from 79 to 68 and no casualties.
If someone is home, it is a good idea to scoop tank water in a cup and pour it back in creating a little bit of a splash to aerate the water. I did not remember to do this the first time the power went out and the fish were still fine. But if you have a large amount of fish in the tank, oxygen runs out faster.
fish can go for 2 weeks without food, 2 days is nothing.
Moving the tanks would be more dangerous then waiting for the power to come back.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
When we had a 24 hour power outage i lost 3 sterbai and a gold ram :(
So sorry, that is really sad! Do you have a battery operated air pump? maybey that could help in the future. and towels, lots of towels and or newspaper around the tank to keep it warm.

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rap the tanks in blankets and towels. That's what I do when the power goes out and it really helps keep the temps up for a good deal longer. Also, if you really need to, you can heat some water up in a kettle over a wood stove or fire place, then slowly trickle it into then tank to keep the temperture up.

New Threads