Power Out

1. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hey!

So last night we got load of snow that made our power go out for about 5 hours and so my aquariums had no heaters or filters on!!!! I didn't realize that they weren't on until right when the power went back on and I heard them all make that starting noise. I so glad it wasn't for very long because it's like 20 degrees ( F )
    So, I wondering what everyone does with this issue when it comes?
    Thx!!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    FishL:))

4. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

For some of us, the power is ALWAYS out. :) I have electricity at work, but my tanks at home run without electricity. Nice not to have to worry about the power going out!

5. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

So how do you run your tanks at home? I'm really curious. :)

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Battery powered air pumps are very useful in these situations.
    Handwarmers and blankets can be used for keeping small tropical tanks warm.
    I do a 20% water change on each tank every hour if there is no filtration.

7. Ohio Mark

We do not have electricity, but we do make use of "inverters," a device that can change 12-volt battery power into current. We have a bank of five huge deep-cycle 12 volt batteries in the basement and those are kept charged by solar panels. The inverter is connected to the batteries. I ran an extension cord from the inverter in the basement through a hole in the bottom of the built in cupboard that holds my fish. My LED lights and filters run that way. The only problem I have ever run into is keeping the batteries charged sufficiently during the shorter days of winter. An upgrade to the panel solved that as well as keeping a closer eye on the condition of the battery (like checking water levels). Unfortunately, running a heater taxes the batteries too much, or at least during the winter. So, my "home fish" are fish that can thrive on cooler water. I've been experienting with a heater idea... We use natural gas lights. I installed one under the fish cupboard and put a vent in, thinking the heat thrown from the light may be what I need to raise water temperatures, but it was a useless idea. (Which I kind of realized, but still wanted to try.) There is no way to regulate the temperature and I got tired of going up & down to the basement to adjust the light.

8. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

WOW! That's really neat, Mark! :) I am way to spoiled with electricity conveniently running through my house!

9. OP
    OP

Same here- this has never happened and so a was worried about what to do. :)

10. Ohio Mark

If I were depending on electricity and worried about the power going out, I'd be thinking of getting a generator. Never run one inside -- but a cord can be run into the house for power failures. Just make sure your generator is kept in working order and you have gas on hand. :)

11. OP
    OP

Okay-I think my dad may have one. :)

12. Ohio Mark

There you go! :) Surely he'd be willing to loan it to you?

13. OP
    OP

Yes-I still live with them( I'm 15 :) )
    I'll see if it is working! :)

14. Ohio Mark

15? Well, now I feel like I have not been paying attention! In that case, you're certainly good to go. :) I'm sure your dad will not only be willing to let you use it but will know how to operate it safely. I've heard horror stories of people who have tried to run generators indoors.

15. Ohio Mark

It is all what you are used to! For one, you don't miss what you never had and for another, everything runs smoothly the way it is. So, yes, you might be "spoiled" in a way, but when the power goes off... :( I do use electricity all day long at work, but when I go home I don't and I don't really give it much thought either way.

16. OP
    OP

Yes, I think he probably knows how to run it. It's a good reminder that I can use it though, thanks!

17. OP
    OP

This everyone for your replies!! I think I'll know what to do next time. :) Hopefully I won't have to do it anytime soon... :) :)