Funny Power is out--genius way I'm running my air pumps

Fishstery

Naturally when it rains, it pours. Literally. Had a terrible day at work and my beater vehicle died on me, then we get a HUGE thunderstorm that knocked our power out. No word on when it will be back on, but naturally my first concern were my 5 fish tanks. I literally started blowing bubbles into the water with straws in a panic. Then I remembered something.

My '17 silverado has a nifty 120v power outlet (standard house outlet) that will run up to 150 watts. 7 extension cords later, and I have my truck outside in the driveway idling and the extension cords ran into the house where I have 2 air pumps and one aquarium heater plugged into. My boyfriend is going to think I'm insane when he gets home from work! Unfortunately I had to pick "priority tanks" to run since I don't have enough cord for all 5, so I decided because killifish and bettas can literally survive in puddles, they would have to wait out the outage while I put oxygen into my co2 injected tanks. If this goes on for another hour or two, I will alternate tanks with the airstone. My bettas tank dropped to 74 but I have it wrapped in a towel, so fingers crossed I can get through this with no issues. Wish me luck guys!

Rose of Sharon

How wonderful!!!! Hope the power comes back on soon!!!

Good luck and great thinking!

Upvote 0

Basil

Brilliant! Sounds like something I would do. :D. Actually, I have a few battery powered air pumps but seem to have added a few more tanks lol!
Need to order a few more air pumps!
We were driving back from the beach today and hit terrible storms.
Hope the power is back on soon!

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Brilliant! Sounds like something I would do. :D. Actually, I have a few battery powered air pumps but seem to have added a few more tanks lol!
Need to order a few more air pumps!
We were driving back from the beach today and hit terrible storms.
Hope the power is back on soon!
In hindsight I will be ordering a few now hopefully it doesn't get to the point where any ammonia builds up. I'd say the power has been out for about 3-5 hours, it's hard to say because I was at work while it went out and only found out when I got home. I won't be getting much sleep tonight, I will most likely have to wake up every few hours to move the airstones around and check how much gas is left in the truck. I'm thinking I will double dose prime in the tanks when the airstone is on (to mix it into the water). That's about all I can do until the power is back on and I can run the filters.

Upvote 0

Basil

In hindsight I will be ordering a few now hopefully it doesn't get to the point where any ammonia builds up. I'd say the power has been out for about 3-5 hours, it's hard to say because I was at work while it went out and only found out when I got home. I won't be getting much sleep tonight, I will most likely have to wake up every few hours to move the airstones around and check how much gas is left in the truck. I'm thinking I will double dose prime in the tanks when the airstone is on (to mix it into the water). That's about all I can do until the power is back on and I can run the filters.
Good ol chevy trucks! Add keeping fish alive to their list of duties lol!
Although our current truck is an old 2000 GMC. :)
And yeah, I know I wouldn’t sleep much either.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Just thought I'd let you guys know the power just kicked on! Crisis averted :) good ol chevy in to save the day. Glad I atleast thought of a short term way to aerate the co2 tanks, drop checkers were light green with zero flow for God knows how long before I came home. All the fish seem to be okay though!

Upvote 0

Dechi

I understand you did it for the fish, but this is really bad for the environment. In my city, you’re not allowed to run a car idle for more than 2 minutes.

You should get battery operated air pumps for next time. They’re not too expensive and will save you a lot of trouble.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

I understand you did it for the fish, but this is really bad for the environment. In my city, you’re not allowed to run a car idle for more than 2 minutes.

You should get battery operated air pumps for next time. They’re not too expensive and will save you a lot of trouble.
I only ran the truck for about an hour tops lol. It's a 6.2L big boy v8....sorry but it's not good for the environment in any scenario! This was an emergency situation...if I had battery operated pumps I would not have had my garage kept baby outside in a storm LOL.

Upvote 0

Sorg67

We have a lot of power outages here in Central Florida. I have battery powered air pumps as part of my power outage kit. They can run the sponge filters I have in each tank for about 36 hours on a pair of D cell batteries. I also have a generator. But I do not turn that on unless we are going to be without power for a long time and need to keep the refrigerators going. The generator can run all the filters and heaters. But here in Central Florida we do not have to worry about tanks getting too cold. More likely to get too warm.

Upvote 0

RayClem

I once had power go out for several days due to an ice storm. I removed a little water from the tank and heated it over a wood fire to keep the tank from getting too cold. Although the house got really cold, the fish were kept reasonably warm.

Just removing a pitcher of water from the tank and pouring it back in will provide water movement and promote gas exchange at the water's surface. If you do this several times each hour, the fish should be OK.

I

Upvote 0

Fishstery

I once had power go out for several days due to an ice storm. I removed a little water from the tank and heated it over a wood fire to keep the tank from getting too cold. Although the house got really cold, the fish were kept reasonably warm.

Just removing a pitcher of water from the tank and pouring it back in will provide water movement and promote gas exchange at the water's surface. If you do this several times each hour, the fish should be OK.

Unfortunately the power went out right in the middle of my light cycle, so there was zero ramp down time with the co2 before the power was cut. So the co2 was still in full blast pumping the tank with gas and all of a sudden zero flow or water movement. That's why I was in such a hurry to put ample oxygen into the tank, not to mention that tank houses my rainbow shiners which are stream fish that require a higher level of dissolved oxygen. If the power would have went out after the co2 solenoid was off for the day and my plants had time to suck some of it up it wouldn't have been such an emergency. But I don't think simple things like blowing bubbles with straws or pouring water was going to provide enough gas exchange with how much co2 was present at the time i got home. Not to mention that I didn't get home for at least 2 hours after the power went out. So my shiners had to sit through a tank full of co2 with zero water flow for hours before I got there. It could have been a disaster, but luckily it wasn't. I still wont know if any issues came from the situation until I get home from work today and have time to assess the damage, if any.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

We have a lot of power outages here in Central Florida. I have battery powered air pumps as part of my power outage kit. They can run the sponge filters I have in each tank for about 36 hours on a pair of D cell batteries. I also have a generator. But I do not turn that on unless we are going to be without power for a long time and need to keep the refrigerators going. The generator can run all the filters and heaters. But here in Central Florida we do not have to worry about tanks getting too cold. More likely to get too warm.
Can you tell me what kind/brand of battery powered air pump that you have? I am in Louisiana, and we have power outages all of the time. I do have something that I can use, but it does not last as long as yours (I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 hours out of mine). I would love to get a few now that hurricane season is upon us again!
Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Sorg67

These pumps are not great quality nor very strong. But they seem adequate.

Attachments

• A2B317FE-7A08-4189-8702-35A7FA21152D.jpeg
    A2B317FE-7A08-4189-8702-35A7FA21152D.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 11
  • F33917ED-3197-4F39-A59D-188B16C16972.jpeg
    F33917ED-3197-4F39-A59D-188B16C16972.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 55A6D1C1-4E56-4F89-A0AE-2FF85182F8D9.jpeg
    55A6D1C1-4E56-4F89-A0AE-2FF85182F8D9.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Fishstery

These pumps are not great quality nor very strong. But they seem adequate.
I just ordered 4 of these for next time this happens lol! Thank you for the helpful suggestion.

Upvote 0

Sorg67

I just ordered 4 of these for next time this happens lol! Thank you for the helpful suggestion.
Hope they work for you.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have that one too. It is very loud....lol Life exchange.....

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
Replies
Views
cosermann
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies