power head question

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am working towards setting up a Saltwater tank in the next couple of months, and am researching some of the equipment needs. I am curious...what kind of total gph flow should I be looking for? I will be setting up a FOWLR tank, probably 30 gallons.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm thinking 20x, maybe a bit more like 30x, depends on the fish also. So probably 600-300gph total.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
20-30x !?

Pardon me while I go adjust my online shopping cart.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what type are you getting?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a 30 gallon saltwater tank, I'd get at least 3 power heads rated at 200 gph each. More specifically, I'd run a stationary (non-rotating) powerhead in each back corner (angled down slightly) and point them towards the middle of the tank. Then run one of those powersweeps in the back middle so it can rotate to both sides of the tank. This would create some really good turbulence, aiding in surface agitation (gas exchange) and it would help force water flow in and around the live rock helping in increased bio filtration.

Maxi-jet makes some really good powerheads. They've lasted longer than any others that I've had. The powersweeps are decent, but you have to keep the rotating arm clean are it will get stuck in one position. See here: Power Sweep Powerhead Review.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, should mention that you need to watch the water temps when running with this many powerheads. Submersible powerheads add heat to the water. Depending on the lights you use, you may need to keep an eye on the tank water temp.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good info, Mike...makes a lot of sense.

I haven't bought anything yet, atmmachine, but have been eyeballing 2-3 Marineland 1140's. I just got back from vacation though, and have not yet had a chance to look into the Maxi-jets that Mike recommended.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a maxi-jet and a mini rio and love them both and would recomend what Mike said. Marineland makes the maxi-jets.

Mike what have you heard about the seio's?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atm - i haven't used the seio's before and haven't read any reviews on them. I just checked them out on marinedepot.com and they look kinda bulky.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya, I was looking at my marine depot magazine and I guess they have some expensive one's when the motor is on the outside to keep the heat down and conserve on space and sends the power through magnetic waves I think it was to power the propeller, pretty cool

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think I am going to go with a pair of maxi-jets to start with, at 230 gph each, while curing the live rock and cycling. Unless it is just a horrible mistake, I will wait for a 3rd until just before I start adding fish.

How are the aquaclear HOB filters? My freshwater tanks all have Whisper filters, so I thought I would try something different.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll let Mike answer the powerhead question.

I have a aquaclear since I've read a fair amount of positive reviews on it but am dissapointed about it. I perfer my penguin bio-wheel since it's a lot quieter. The aquaclear is just noiser than the bio-wheel. Not by a lot but I just like the bio-wheel better, my preference. Both are good, it's up to you.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you have live rock and if you have a protein skimmer, the hob power filter isn't really needed. In fact, it could become a source of nitrates if you don't change out the floss frequently. I do have power filters on my tanks, but I run them without media in them until I need to use activated carbon, and then I only run the carbon for a couple of days (2 or 3) in between water changes and then remove it.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In fact, it could become a source of nitrates if you don't change out the floss frequently.
Would that be monthly? More/less? I do have a skimmer, and was planning on running the HOB without carbon.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I change out or rinse the filter floss at minimum weekly to keep the trapped materials from breaking down.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do the same, but I just run filter floss for a couple days after water change to trap mixed up junk.

Mike how long do you suggest running carbon?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only run it for a couple of days at a time, when I do use it. I haven't been using it very much lately though, opting for more frequent small partial water changes.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK thanks, all it really does is purify the water more right?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
to a certain extent, yes - it's good at removing the yellowing compounds from the water and reefers use it to also remove toxins released by corals as defensive mechanisms. Also, I'd recommend testing any carbon you plan on using with a phosphate test kit. Drop a few carbon pellets in the test vial and let it sit for a half hour or so and see if it tests positive for phosphate. If it does, don't use it unless you want algae probs.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom