Power Head Question

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey I went out and brought a marineland maxi jet 400 today for more water flow in tank, I was wondering if I should use the power head mode 110 max gph or circulation pump mode 500 max gph? I currently have 360 gph rate in the tank right now and I'm wanting to have at least 500 gph in the tank, its a 54 gallon corner tank, I also have a good amount of bubblers in the tank will that help any, what should I do?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I prefer using them as circulation pumps. You create tank turbulence and your water turnover has a much better mix rate. Since you have bubblers that is causing surface agitation which is excellent. Power head mode will mix as well but you are aeriating more.

fishfanatic15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
matt 63 said:
Hey I went out and brought a marineland maxi jet 400 today for more water flow in tank, I was wondering if I should use the power head mode 110 max gph or circulation pump mode 500 max gph? I currently have 360 gph rate in the tank right now and I'm wanting to have at least 500 gph in the tank, its a 54 gallon corner tank, I also have a good amount of bubblers in the tank will that help any, what should I do?
Just curious - Why do you want to have 500gph in the form of water flow? If you are looking for 500gph in the form of filtration then a powerhead and/or a bubbler won't help you. Do you have fish that need that strong of a current? Is it for aeration?

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fishfanatic15 said:
Just curious - Why do you want to have 500gph in the form of water flow? If you are looking for 500gph in the form of filtration then a powerhead and/or a bubbler won't help you. Do you have fish that need that strong of a current? Is it for aeration?
I posted on here before about a filter I was using and they recommended me to get a power head for more water flow

DuaneV said:
Why the need for so much extra flow in such a small tank?
That's what I was recommended with the filter I have

NavyChief20 said:
I prefer using them as circulation pumps. You create tank turbulence and your water turnover has a much better mix rate. Since you have bubblers that is causing surface agitation which is excellent. Power head mode will mix as well but you are aeriating more.
Thank you

So do I even need this pump, or will it be useful for my tank?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Given the size its going to be a little overkill. You can use it periodically as a water polisher if you make a coke bottle and polyfill attachment

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
Given the size its going to be a little overkill. You can use it periodically as a water polisher if you make a coke bottle and polyfill attachment
I guess I miss understood the the 10X the tank size for flow rate deal, just a little confusing for me still, thanks for the advice

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So,
Not to discount the 10X "rule" but it is often misunderstood. The amount of filtration and its capacity shouldnt be and cant be measured or quantified by flow rate. If you have a good mechanical and biological filtration system then moving the water through it quick isnt the goal. THe goal is to achieve as close to an isochemical state as possible. So adding aggitation or fluid mixing within the tank will assist in that goal. You can turn the water volume over 10 times an hour with some brand X filter but if you have insufficient media it isnt gonna really do much for you. Say you have one of those "carbon" cartridges in your filter well that doesnt really do much at all. Replace it with say lava rock and or some ceramic and now you have alot of bio-area for your BB. Combine this with a coarse sponge and your HOB is way more effective. FLow rate alone is just moving water. Its not the end all be all to filtration. Turbulent flow in this case is very good you get alot of bouncing and contact and the water molecules get all miked up together and you have magic happen. Laminar flow in this application is just even flow and doesnt give you the same punch for the same flowrate.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
So,
Not to discount the 10X "rule" but it is often misunderstood. The amount of filtration and its capacity shouldnt be and cant be measured or quantified by flow rate. If you have a good mechanical and biological filtration system then moving the water through it quick isnt the goal. THe goal is to achieve as close to an isochemical state as possible. So adding aggitation or fluid mixing within the tank will assist in that goal. You can turn the water volume over 10 times an hour with some brand X filter but if you have insufficient media it isnt gonna really do much for you. Say you have one of those "carbon" cartridges in your filter well that doesnt really do much at all. Replace it with say lava rock and or some ceramic and now you have alot of bio-area for your BB. Combine this with a coarse sponge and your HOB is way more effective. FLow rate alone is just moving water. Its not the end all be all to filtration. Turbulent flow in this case is very good you get alot of bouncing and contact and the water molecules get all miked up together and you have magic happen. Laminar flow in this application is just even flow and doesnt give you the same punch for the same flowrate.
I have a good filter ,it's a magniflow 360 canister filter and has plenty of bio media in it and has a flow rate of 360, should I just leave it the way it is and leave the power head alone?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally i would let it ride with what you have. Its not my personal preference but thats a good canister. The powerhead you can take back or make a diy water polisher or use it as a diy filter in a qt.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How are your supply and return lines rigged up? Are you surface skimming and using a spraybar?

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
How are your supply and return lines rigged up? Are you surface skimming and using a spraybar?
I'm not using a spray bar and I have it set up so that the water coming out skims across the top of the water, if that makes any sense lol

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so your return line makes a surface ripple basically? Thats good since it helps prevent protein buildup on the surface and a little bit of mixing

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
so your return line makes a surface ripple basically? Thats good since it helps prevent protein buildup on the surface and a little bit of mixing
Yes that's what it does, and thanks for for helping me learn more about all this flow rate stuff

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
matt 63 said:
Yes that's what it does, and thanks for for helping me learn more about all this flow rate stuff
no problem dude, little lesson in fluid dynamics is always fun

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom