Power Head In A 55 Gal

1. G

Grogie321 Valued Member Member

I don't know too much about power heads/wavemakers but would like to purchase one for my 55 gal. I have a big school of rummynose tetras as well as a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides and some shrimp. What would be a good flow for this tank and stocking? It is planted but not too heavy. Many thanks in advance

2. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

10x hourly movement is a good starting point.

I like the Hydor Korealia series; good price point, small size, excellent volumes hourly, magnetic base.

My 525gph pump cost less than $30, if memory serves.

What filter are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    G

That's interesting thank you. I have the hydor 600 camister but want flow throughout the tank, it gives a god amount of surface agitation but not too sure how much flow it gives throughout the tank. Amy idea about the stocking in terms of how much flow needed.

4. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

I've never had Apistos, however, after a little research, it seems that high flow is ok, so long as it isn't turbulent flow.

I strive for a minimum of 10x turnover through my filters (20x - 40x in my reefs) hourly, then use the boosters to create enough water movement that poop doesn't ever settle to the bottom; it's keep in the water column, surface skimmed, filtered, and digested.

5. OP
    OP
    G

Ok cool whereabouts do I place it? And can they go off when the light goes off or should they stay on 24/7