Power head help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by fishcrazy99, Aug 3, 2015.

1. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

So i bought a powerful power head for the purpose of just doing water changes on my 55. Its a aquatop PH 35. Pulls 35 watts and does 422 G/H. The instructions say not to plug it into a power strip but i wanted to know if you think it would okay to do it short term for the duration of the water change because the tank is about 6 feet from the outlet and is never going to reach.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

Oops, see below...

3. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

There's no harm in plugging it into a power strip. I think they say that because they'd rather have you plug it directly into a GFCI, which most people don't have anywhere except their bathrooms and near their kitchen sink anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    f

fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Okay, thank you. I just wanted to make sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

I bought an "outdoor" GFCI adapter, basically a power strip with built in GFCI, from home depot for a reasonable price. And plugged in power strip into that. Now I have GFCI protection without needing a special outlet. A must buy for peace of mind.. I have come close to accidentally knocking my LED lights into the tank a couple of times already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice