Power Head For Sponge Filteread

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by RedBettaBoy, Apr 12, 2018.

1. RedBettaBoyNew MemberMember

F71F69CF-9F6A-45D7-B399-EFCCCA4CCF03.jpeg
    So I switched from goldfish and hob to Betta snail and plants. I was hoping the air powered sponge filters would do more mechanical filtering than what is happening. What waste my little friends create settles in the gravel and will only be coming up if I vacuum the gravel more than I’d like. For fun I hooked up the AquaClear 70 and was shocked what still came up after a water change

Sooooooo, would like to stay away from hob again for noice and excessive water movement. But would a power head hooked up to one sponge and run the other on air give me a touch more mechanical filtering and easier maintence. I realize they are basically the same motor as a power filter but if they are submerged I think it should be ok

If yes who makes the best power head rated for a 20 gallon

Thanks

2. DarkOne

DarkOneWell Known MemberMember

Sponge filters are bio filters, not mechanical. They do a little mechanical but you shouldn't really expect much mechanical filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    R

RedBettaBoyNew MemberMember

Explain to me how a sponge filter with a powerhead with the same GPH as a hob is different.

It’s essentially an internal filter at that point.

4. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

You do realize that a POWER HEAD normally produces more current in the tank than an HOB right? When I want to reduce current, power-head doesn't even come into the picture for me.

I don't know, maybe there's some really small-current producing power-heads out there, but the one's I have are like putting a leaf-blower into the tank. Last time I used one, it was only to pump water to an external wet-dry filter which dumped back in on the top of the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    R

RedBettaBoyNew MemberMember

Current is a concern. Ordered a SunSun power head on Amazon for like 9 bucks and free shipping ! 150 gph and there are rumors that can’t be manipulated, worth a shot. At a minimum I can do one of those DIY filter polishes with a water bottle and floss on it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice