Power head for freshwater 55g?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by DanB80TTS, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Would a power head be neccesaryIn for a 55gallon community, or would a canister with around 500gph be sufficient for flow? The intake and outtake will be at one end of the tank so was wondering if a small power head like what you see in saltwater setups would be worth getting.

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

It depends on the specific fish going in the tank. Some species prefer slower moving waters and other fish prefer a bit of movement in the tank. You don't usually need​ a powerhead though.

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

My alternative would be to just add a small HOB at the other end for a bit of agitation. Looking at a South American community

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

A koralia 240 or 425 should be enough for adding flow to your tank. You definitely don't need anywhere near as much as a saltwater tank would normally.

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

How do they attach, it doesn't look like they use suction cups?

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

They are magnetic suction cups. One is on the powerhead and the other is on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Before getting into power heads, make sure you need one first. Koralia would be what I would get too. But they are not cheap. So I would make sure you need it.

For freshwater I think you are better off adding another filter myself. That usually does the trick and is cheaper than a good power head. A descent HOB will add more filtration, never bad, and offers you an extra filter if you ever need to set up a QT, or need to help seed a new tank.