power filter output slows down

hssea
  • #1
I have a aquatech power filter, not sure of the model, but it is the type with two sides (each has the carbon filter and the sponge type one that doesn't need to be replaced). The filter is 22 months old and the water output slows down. I take turns removing the 'sponge' filter and spraying it with my sink wand sprayer to remove the gunk. This speeds up the water flow but I feel that i'm removing good bacteria. I do rinse with cold water and alternate sides. My question is should I not do this and just leave it with slower water flow. Or is the power filter getting old and needs to be replaced?

thanks hssea
 
SereneReyn
  • #2
you're more than 'removing' bacteria, you're killing it... you should rinse it out in a bucket of old tank water... tho you could replace it if it's really really bad - prolly wouldn't hurt at this point, 'since you've had to re-establish your bacteria every time you've rinsed prior to this.
 
sgould
  • #3
I would check the impellers and see if they are clogged. SereneRene is right about your bacteria...untreated tap water should never touch any part of your filter media, but especially not the sponge. Chlorine/chloramine in the water is lethal to the bacteria.
 
tricky_tink
  • #4
Their is a knob on the top of your filter you can turn to adjust the flow that way-on most power filters anyway. It's should be pointing at your tank--like an arrow or one side that is more pointed than the other. If you totally don't know what I'm talking about, follow your intake tube up from your tank to where it pours into the filter right there on top it should be. Try that--oh yea Welcome to Fishlore!
 
tricky_tink
  • #5
Wow just checked your tank stats----Nitrate is too high!! More water changes are needed you don't want that number over 10ppm. Nitrate is the end product not as bad as Nitrite or ammonia but still toxic to fish.
 
Tavel
  • #6
Wow just checked your tank stats----Nitrate is too high!! More water changes are needed you don't want that number over 10ppm. Nitrate is the end product not as bad as Nitrite or ammonia but still toxic to fish.

It's safe until it reaches 40ppm...but anything about 20 will probably cause a lot of algae problems.

I would keep doing as you're doing. It's open to debate, but I don't think you're adversely affecting the bacteria population with that cleaning method. Perhaps you should test it out, clean both sponges and measure ammonia a few hours later.

I'm betting everything will be just peachy, but be ready for a water change anyway.

People treat the nitrifying bacteria like a temperamental orchid...and really it's a weed. Bacteria wouldn't be everywhere if it were so delicate.
 
sgould
  • #7
Uh...
 
hssea
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
I've started lowering the nitrates by 25% water changes. It already down to 30ppm (maybe even a little less). I'm still using those dipsticks, but going downstate this weekend so I'll pick up one of those API test kits at petsmart.
 
hssea
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
oh yeah I did have a algae problem, not to severe though. I've removed all the algae off the deco's and rocks about 2 weeks ago and it still looks great. I'm pretty sure a had that black brush algae. I used several treatments of API algaefix (it states that it effective agaisn't hair algae) so we will see if it comes back. I got that algae from a live plant I bought , there was some around the edges of the leaves. The plants died from being just eventually covered with it. I've thought about adding a SAE but my tank is at its capacity, probably over capacity once the fish grow up. But I'm willing to do more frequent water changes if needed.
 
mlinden84
  • #10
Have you tried cleaning your intake tube? I remember reading somewhere that even a slight film on the inside of it can reduce the water flow by up to 25% (of course I don't remember where I read that now...)
 
hssea
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
no I haven't tried scrubbing the intake tube. When I go downstate this weekend I'll pick up a tube brush and give that a try. Thanks
 
COBettaCouple
  • #12
It could be getting old and could also have gunk up through the intake tube.
 

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
7
Views
60
Flyfisha
Replies
8
Views
3K
Gekco
Replies
8
Views
1K
Bumblebees
  • Locked
Replies
9
Views
2K
jmaldo
  • Locked
Replies
7
Views
723
Skavatar
Top Bottom