Power failure!

1. Jayson Initiate Member

hey everyone,

I was just wondering how I would proceed in the event of a power failure. I don't have a generator or any back-up power supply and don't intend on purchasing any, since they can be quite costly. So, is there any other way of saving the fish if the lights go out?

I expect the fish to be able to survive for at least 24 hours maybe more, and I suppose I could resort to frequent water changes, but other than that what could I do?

Ponder this carefully if you don't mind, cause I my region often seems to be hit by unexpected blackouts. :mad:

Jason S. :)

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Jason,
    I live in Florida where we're prone to hurricanes, and even though I'm 50 miles from the coast, we still get damage and lose power. What I have done in the past is used battery powered air pumps to keep a little airation going when the power is off. If it happens during cold weather, you can wrap your tanks with blankets to keep them warmer longer. Water changes are also a good idea, but then you also have the temperature issue to consider. Something else you might also want to consider is that if you use sponge filters, you can hook your battery powered air pump to the hose, and your tank won't miss a beat!

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You can also turn your water over by dipping containers of water from the tank and pouring it back in. The higher over the water you hold the container when your pouring the more it mixes and adds oxygen to the tank. I have had to do this. Its tiring, and time consuming but it works.
    Carol

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

I also may have to do this as the hottest months of summer are coming up and the extra power usage from the air cons usually results in some powerfailures doubled with thunderstorms