Powder Blue Tang

kiwigal

I have just recently noticed my Tang has a bulge in his tummy and is hiding away alot! More than normal, He is still feeding however but just isn't his normal zippy self! My ammonium levels are 0.5mg/l and have high nitrat levels of 30-35mg/l I do a water change every 2wks at 31.7G, I have a 73.98G aquarium my salinity isn't quite were I would like it at 1.024 currently so just on nuetral! How can I reduce these levels, as down here in NZ it's hard to find saltwater plants also, and I seem to be for ever changing water with no better results! Please give me alternative ideas/advice! I have only been in this hobby for 1 year now and am still learning! Sorry I have had my Tang for 6months now.

Aquarist

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hopefully you will receive some responses today!

Best wishes for your fish!

Kenishy10

Stang Man

Welcome to Fish lore!!!!

Is this buge in the stomache or is it on the skin area? Can you give more detail as to what it looks like?? To reduce the levels I would do a 50% water change and as you syphon the water out clean the sand with a gravel vacuum. Sounds to me that you have high ditritus build up from feeding etc. not sure how much you feed and how much but cutting that down will help as well.

kiwigal

HI there, the bulge is in the stomach area, I feed once a week and have found that I need to feed several times through the day not there whole portion in one dose! 50% waterchange in one hit! Roger that! Will give it a try and see how we go! He has however since posting my first thread become somewhat himself again! But I have let some sunlight shineon the tank, as I have my lights on a timer for 8hrs per day! Since doing this he seems to be out and about! Maybe he was stressed?

Stang Man

feed the fish every other day that's what I do and feed them not all at once but a little here and there when you get home, Feeding to much will cause the water to go bad then problems will accur do to over feeding and not enough water changes , just balance that part out. You don't want any sun light on the tank it will cause major algae problems. feed the tang a lot of greens such as frozen greens for the marine type and you can also try feeding norI if available.

kiwigal

My Tang now has a what seems to be a bite mark, or could also look like a round worm! This is on his bulged tummy! He is eating and playing as normal, I have been feeding appropriately and doing water changes and have also cleaned sand and filters as instructed. Do you know if I should be concerned of worms?

Stang Man

Would need to see a close up picture of the area that you are talking about.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom