Powder Blue Gourami Aggression

Kirby86

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Having an issue with my 75 gal community tank.
So for the past month I’ve built up the population in my tank, including introducing some powder blue gouramis. Against the advice of the LFS I got two males and a female, thinking my tank was big enough for them to keep away from each other for the most part.
For a while, it was mostly fine with minor skirmishes. One male built a nest on the right side, the other on the left.
Recently the left male had abandoned his nest and decided to build one right next to the one on the right. Now fighting is becoming frequent, and they are even sabotaging each other’s nests.
Any advice? Do I need to move one of them out of the tank?

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Kirby86 said:
Hi everyone! Having an issue with my 75 gal community tank.
So for the past month I’ve built up the population in my tank, including introducing some powder blue gouramis. Against the advice of the LFS I got two males and a female, thinking my tank was big enough for them to keep away from each other for the most part.
For a while, it was mostly fine with minor skirmishes. One male built a nest on the right side, the other on the left.
Recently the left male had abandoned his nest and decided to build one right next to the one on the right. Now fighting is becoming frequent, and they are even sabotaging each other’s nests.
Any advice? Do I need to move one of them out of the tank?
Sounds like you already know what you should do . 2 males is a bad idea

BillCNC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gourami's like Betta's have often left a hobbyist in a Jam due to aggression. I guess the issue come's when you have a cool looking community fish with somewhat genital temperament giving one a false sense of security. Sometime's these fish go nothing short of nut's and that's when one is left in a Jam and most often than not, no other place to put the fish.

I have such a fish, ... A female Thick Lip Gourami. She has killed 3 males and bullies everything I currently have in stock so she's been sitting in a 10g in solitary confinement. Iv'e tried to re-home her several time's but she's a boomerang, ... just keep's coming back.

Do you have a lot of floating and mid water plant's? This would aid in breaking the line of sight issues.

Regards
Bill

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd remove one male, but temperature is a mating trigger (=agression). If the other fish would cope with lower temps that's the only thing you could try to me.

bwer2

Reaction score
Just kinda depends on the fish and their personality....I have 2 powder blues, 1 flame and 1 honey gourami (all males)...don’t ask lol my wife stupidly bought them without me knowing. But they are totally fine together in a 32.5 gallon...they bicker sometimes but nothing more than a second or two long.....we also have an angelfish and 2 GBRs and they get along well surprisingly

Nobody

Reaction score
I had a single Pearl Gourami which was constantly very aggressive towards everything else in the tank, it even pecked at snails. Nothing I tried would calm it down. Even though in the store it was living fine with a school of Rasboras.

I'd say they need a much bigger tank than people specify tbh. I ended up giving it away to a store because I couldn't do anything with it. Shame because it was also very tame :/

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom