Potter's Coral Chaos

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi. I'm HarryPotter. I have a freshwater coral reef!

May 2018:

VkhYf5R.jpg

Jan 2018:

Just took this iPhone photo of acros out of the water during a water change and thought I would share

ccWsdhI.jpg

pbOPzU3.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just look at that Mille! I love my little piece of it.

You should share some of those sweet pics of your nem Harry.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Just look at that Mille! I love my little piece of it.

You should share some of those sweet pics of your nem Harry.
You have the green one, next time pick up the red one!

The bubble tip anemones?
3QnaeAt.jpg

fLDkfCN.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep, meant the bubble tips, but we love rock flowers around here too.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Yep, meant the bubble tips, but we love rock flowers around here too.
DFf3aco.jpg

dJyzgAk.jpg

OCnXXzK.jpg

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nart said:
Very nice looking tank.
Thanks man. Since getting my new phone, I can't help but take photos daily! Even that time lapse is just a camera mode, so easy.

Nart

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That phone of yours... takes beautiful pics of your tank.
What phone is it?

I'm getting tired of my iPhone6S

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nart said:
That phone of yours... takes beautiful pics of your tank.
What phone is it?

I'm getting tired of my iPhone6S
Iphone X, but the iPhone 8 has the same camera.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HarryPotter said:
Beautiful pics HP! I don't think I shared with you that I'm a Potterhead, hahaha.

Anyhow, I wondered where you shopped for RFA's? Have you been VIP Reef on 137th Ave. ? They seem to be the RFA kings in town. Also, are those porites I see on your RFA garden rock? I've got a small porite colony that I picked up from WWC for $5 They're growing really well too! Saw a video once of an Australian tank with a large porite covered rock hosting Christmas Tree worms. Totally rad!!! I'd like to try it, so maybe someday.... Have you looked into that at all?

Fed the frags I got from you for the first time today. I feed my LPS and softies like this....
and the torch loved it! It had a way stronger feeding response than my first torch ever did and it was so fun to watch. The stonies got a thinned out version, more like a cloud of roids/phyto, and they responded well too. I still can't get over the mille and the slimer. Love them! All the frags are super healthy and happy. Thanks again man.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Beautiful pics HP! I don't think I shared with you that I'm a Potterhead, hahaha.

Anyhow, I wondered where you shopped for RFA's? Have you been VIP Reef on 137th Ave. ? They seem to be the RFA kings in town. Also, are those porites I see on your RFA garden rock? I've got a small porite colony that I picked up from WWC for $5 They're growing really well too! Saw a video once of an Australian tank with a large porite covered rock hosting Christmas Tree worms. Totally rad!!! I'd like to try it, so maybe someday.... Have you looked into that at all?

Fed the frags I got from you for the first time today. I feed my LPS and softies like this....
and the torch loved it! It had a way stronger feeding response than my first torch ever did and it was so fun to watch. The stonies got a thinned out version, more like a cloud of roids/phyto, and they responded well too. I still can't get over the mille and the slimer. Love them! All the frags are super healthy and happy. Thanks again man.
I used to shop for RFA's at RareReef here in Florida, but they got shut down for scamming customers. It was like $120 for 8 of them! Great colors too, nothing boring. I can't really afford any of the nice ones at VIP.

The coral you are referring to is rainbow montipora, an encrusting type. It grows super fast for me but it is very hard to frag. Ive seen those christmas tree rocks, but I don't have the room for something like that. Also, I like to dip everything in Bayer, an insecticide, which would kill those invertebrates immediately.

Ive never fed spot fed my LPS o_O, they just grow on their own! I do use a lot of reef roids and mysis though, and with so few fish the corals catch a lot.

I'm glad they still have PE! I just ordered another box of frag plugs

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hehehe... ever since seeing you, I thought that keeping frag plugs might not be a bad idea too. I've preserved the two that I popped the acros off of and have several more I can save for someday.

One of the questions I forgot to ask when I was standing in awe in front of your tank.... What methods do you use for nutrient export? I'm not having any trouble with my own and am quite happy with my little fuge, but still wanted to know how you do it.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Hehehe... ever since seeing you, I thought that keeping frag plugs might not be a bad idea too. I've preserved the two that I popped the acros off of and have several more I can save for someday.

One of the questions I forgot to ask when I was standing in awe in front of your tank.... What methods do you use for nutrient export? I'm not having any trouble with my own and am quite happy with my little fuge, but still wanted to know how you do it.
HEY, I never said you could keep the plugs!!! unch:unch:unch::wacky:

A magnetic frag rack off ebay is under $10, and is a great place to put corals. Placing them on the sand bed is always risky, if an acro falls over on the sand is can start dying in hours. I would recommend keeping them on plugs until you are ready to glue them down. You can also adjust the height of the coral until its happiest while on the rack, and then move it onto the rock at the same height.

I only use mechanical filtration- no chemicals. In my experience using stuff like carbon, GFO, and all of those fancy things leads to trouble. In my sump is floss and a skimmer. Now that I think of it there is a refugium light that goes on at night, but no refugium!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:hilarious: I'll gladly trade your frag plugs back for more frags! JK...jk... :hilarious: You can have 'em back for sure, just keep selling those cheap frags HP!

Thanks for the advice, I may get a frag rack sometime soon, I've just been trying to avoid one in a small tank. The acros are mounted though, glued them down pretty quickly so I could get them safe and in higher light. Working on spots for everything else and will have it done by the weekend.

Good to know about your filtration, thanks for sharing.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
:hilarious: I'll gladly trade your frag plugs back for more frags! JK...jk... :hilarious: You can have 'em back for sure, just keep selling those cheap frags HP!

Thanks for the advice, I may get a frag rack sometime soon, I've just been trying to avoid one in a small tank. The acros are mounted though, glued them down pretty quickly so I could get them safe and in higher light. Working on spots for everything else and will have it done by the weekend.

Good to know about your filtration, thanks for sharing.
Yes, if I had the space for a dedicated frag tank that was plumbed into my main tank I would love that! It would have to be plumbed into my main tank because I do not want to test and do water changes to two different tanks haha.

I chopped a small red millipora frag so it'll start to heal for ya. Its from the red colony you can see in the top two photos- gets super fuzzy. Very fast growth, mine took a year and a half to go from this size to the current colony.

HfWmwiT.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not to be nosy HP, but I've been wondering about the tank near the entryway at your place. What were those fish I saw in there? Pretty impressive schoolers.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Not to be nosy HP, but I've been wondering about the tank near the entryway at your place. What were those fish I saw in there? Pretty impressive schoolers.
That is my 300 gallon African Cichlid Tank. Comically easy to take care of, every 2 months I siphon out 50% of the water and refill it with a hose. Found the tank and stand on Craigslist around 6 years ago- including all the white rock, sand, filtration, lighting, etc for $1300.

It’s freshwater but I throw in a few pitchers of salt after the water change, so I suppose it’s brackish? I get a few hundred babies a year (not exaggerating) that I bring to the fish store for store credit, I get like $2 each and the store sells them for around $13.99.

Here’s a bad quality photo, I didn’t focus right.

IfPZH5P.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Love it! Saw a bunch of them swimming pretty tightly together when I was there. It's definitely impressive.

Hey, Nart just posted a pic in his thread showing how someone put a frag grow out station in a partition in their sump. Thought of you when I saw it, but perhaps you have too many huge colonies that need fragging for a setup like that.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your sps is so impressive, the reef tank in general, those frontosa go for quite a good price here, African cichlids in general have boomed, I think a lot of not true hobbyists use them as a substitute to salt water because of the color variety and the ease of keeping them, our tap water is ideal for them here, you have some cool stuff fish wizard.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Love it! Saw a bunch of them swimming pretty tightly together when I was there. It's definitely impressive.

Hey, Nart just posted a pic in his thread showing how someone put a frag grow out station in a partition in their sump. Thought of you when I saw it, but perhaps you have too many huge colonies that need fragging for a setup like that.
Ive thought of doing that in the past, but I would need a reef light to go down there. Right now I have a refugium light that is more red/purple.

grantm91 said:
Your sps is so impressive, the reef tank in general, those frontosa go for quite a good price here, African cichlids in general have boomed, I think a lot of not true hobbyists use them as a substitute to salt water because of the color variety and the ease of keeping them, our tap water is ideal for them here, you have some cool stuff fish wizard.
I can definitely see going to Cichlids instead of reefing; they are very low maintenance. Every couple months I just drain half and refill with hose water. The 300g Cichlid tank is significantly less expensive to maintain than my 70g reef. For the Cichlid tank, the only expense is fish food. I buy it in bulk 20lb containers, which ends up being cents a day. Equipment required? A pump, and some cheap fluorescent lights from home depot.

With the reef I need additives, test kits, salt, and sooooo much more equipment. Skimmer, doser, T5 bulbs, powerheads, frozen food, coral food, and I have a tank controller.

You're a Wizard Harry.
I'm a what?!?!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The t5,s are under appreciated, I never even considered them but your sps under those look phenomenal. I see you use RSCP salt too, has that been since you started out ? Also I use this salt and love what its done for me, but as my tank matured I maintain a lower KH with my WC schedule, salinity is kept at 1.026 as best as I can manually topping off but the KH I Keep around 9. What do you keep your kh at ? Also what do you dose and do you dose manually ? I literally only dose kh as its all I test for but as I get on and want mor sps il broaden my testing and dosing if I have to, looks like your the guy to ask.

To save you paragraph you could send me a link to another forum with your stuff if you prefer and don’t mind.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
The t5,s are under appreciated, I never even considered them but your sps under those look phenomenal. I see you use RSCP salt too, has that been since you started out ? Also I use this salt and love what its done for me, but as my tank matured I maintain a lower KH with my WC schedule, salinity is kept at 1.026 as best as I can manually topping off but the KH I Keep around 9. What do you keep your kh at ? Also what do you dose and do you dose manually ? I literally only dose kh as its all I test for but as I get on and want mor sps il broaden my testing and dosing if I have to, looks like your the guy to ask.

T5s are tried and true. Lots of people actually do poorly using LEDs in general because they constantly are changing the settings or don’t have the spectrum programmed properly.

The bigger issue with LEDs and acropora is shadowing. It’s a HUGE issue. LED fixtures tend to have a very small source of light, and that results in shadowing under acropora branches. Then under the branch dies, and then the rest of the dies as the necrosis spreads.
That doesn’t apply to Montipora, it’s the hard branches acros.

I’ve always used RSCP, no complaints. Mixes clear in a minute leaving no residue. Also the very high water parameters are great for hard corals!

I use an auto top off. Single best thing you can have for the tank man! You can get them for under $60 or even make your own for around $10 if you can do a bit of soldering. You will never regret that investment... I have a 10 gallon freshwater container which I refill every week or so.

My KH is also 9. I dose automatically Alkalinity (KH) and Calcium in equal parts. 40ml each daily, split into 8 doses. I don’t dose anything manually, I don’t have the schedule for that. I may have to ignore the tank for 3 to 4 days at least once a month, not even feeding let alone dosing.

I have a ~100 page thread for this tank on NanoReef,

It starts on day zero all the way to now.

I would happy get you into the hard coral addiction!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awesome harry that's tonights read sorted after my tea, its just the acros man they are something else, I tried some easy stuff, montI digI then birds nest and then montI hirsuta, they look great and I fell in love with watching the branching start to reach out after only 2-3 months but I'm not looking to try acro until I sort some stuff out, nutrient export, more testing kits and maybe even wait until I have my new light, thanks for sharing, also good to see a RSCP user on here.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
Awesome harry that's tonights read sorted after my tea, its just the acros man they are something else, I tried some easy stuff, montI digI then birds nest and then montI hirsuta, they look great and I fell in love with watching the branching start to reach out after only 2-3 months but I'm not looking to try acro until I sort some stuff out, nutrient export, more testing kits and maybe even wait until I have my new light, thanks for sharing, also good to see a RSCP user on here.

Bummer you’re in UK, we could have arranged an acro shipment if you were USA

If you are working on increasing nutrient export, consider decreasing nutrient import. Make sense?

Reeferxbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful tank! I have to agree on the T5s my coral always looked ok under an LED light, but after I upgraded to my Red Sea tank and put them under T5s, they look beautiful, and healthy.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah I do pretty much all I can to restrict “import” super strict feeding, only have 3 fish, even coral feeding is restricted, that's why I'm looking to increase export so I can indulge with the Roids and salifert and nutrafin suspension food a little more. Even gone bare bottom but its horrible and I'm sick of looking at it now, everyone has sand and watchman gobys and I'm jealous. Ive not checked the thread out yet but Il be doing so later.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
Yeah I do pretty much all I can to restrict “import” super strict feeding, only have 3 fish, even coral feeding is restricted, that's why I'm looking to increase export so I can indulge with the Roids and salifert and nutrafin suspension food a little more. Even gone bare bottom but its horrible and I'm sick of looking at it now, everyone has sand and watchman gobys and I'm jealous. Ive not checked the thread out yet but Il be doing so later.
I agree bare bottom stinks! I mix up my sand bed with an old powerhead before water changes. Prevents nutrients from building up.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is in the bathroom directly behind the tank. On the left is my 10 gallon ATO reservoir, and on the right a 20 gallon water mixing container. When it’s time to refill either, I just turn a small valve and it fills overnight. The float valves prevent it from overflowing. I wake up to nice 2 TDS water, it could be 0tds but I am cheap and don’t replace RODI resin

6zYhp7P.jpg

When I was doing the water change I put my clam (which is on a clam hammock) onto an ugly montipora. I did that to protect it from sand when I mixed it up, but now I think it looks kind of cool! I’ll see tomorrow when the lights go on if it is happy.

WQLfe8G.jpg

Nart

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We got a little discussion going on here! Definitely T5s are tried and true. Though, I wouldn't discount LEDs completely. But yeah, you do need a good amount of LEDs to get a good spread and prevent shadowing.

Reeferxbetta you should look up tanks on YouTube like Rico's Reef, Sanjay Joshi's reef tank, Mike Paletta, and WWC. They all use Radion LED lights exclusively and grow all their corals very well.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nart said:
We got a little discussion going on here! Definitely T5s are tried and true. Though, I wouldn't discount LEDs completely. But yeah, you do need a good amount of LEDs to get a good spread and prevent shadowing.

Reeferxbetta you should look up tanks on YouTube like Rico's Reef, Sanjay Joshi's reef tank, Mike Paletta, and WWC. They all use Radion LED lights exclusively and grow all their corals very well.
My thoughts on LEDs was mainly based on the nature of the point-source lighting. If you can spend $10,000 on your tank to get 12 $750 Radion fixtures, you’ll get enough light spread!

I’m thinking about redoing the left side of the tank to provide an area to mount all the acropora colonies I have on the Frag rack. Something roughly like this:

brCotgp.jpg

Epoxy and glue just arrived from amazon, along with 100 Frag plugs in case stella1979 doesn't return hers!

I’ll ply around with some dry rock today to get a bridge going. I don’t think I have any acrylic rods unfortunately! Typically I will drill a hole in small rocks and put an acrylic rod through, and then a bit of epoxy to secure them.

ZsNp1kl.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can't wait to see it Potter. So hey, is that a blasto colony on the frag rack on the upper left?

Reeferxbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nart will do! I like the look of LEDs, and I love how you can adjust the lighting spectrums, my coral was probably not the happiest because I was using a cheaper LED, I will likely upgrade to LEDs at some point, I just love how the T5s are pretty straightforward, just screw in the bulbs, and you're good, but I don't love the need for replacement every 9 months.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Can't wait to see it Potter. So hey, is that a blasto colony on the frag rack on the upper left?
Is it? Not sure. I’m a SPS guy

LKTYRuO.jpg

There’s a cool app called “Aquarium Camera” that is excellent at removing blues

cvLqbPk.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oooh... It's a pretty little acan, maybe a micromussa. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look for the app.

OP
HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
Oooh... It's a pretty little acan, maybe a micromussa. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look for the app.
It just caught my eye at frag swap, back when it was one or two “eyes”. I liked the yellow center. I would Frag it for you if I knew how!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eeek! Fragging acans is scary... though I wonder if your experience in woodworking may help? The videos I've seen of fragging those guys involve using a precision wet saw.

Nart

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can frag it with a diamond blade dremel too. Cut the lines and slowly chisel break it apart.

New Threads