Potter's Coral Chaos: **nsfw**

1. HarryPotter

HarryPotter Valued Member Member

Hi. Im HarryPotter. I have a freshwater coral reef!

May 2018:

VkhYf5R.jpg

Jan 2018:

Just took this iPhone photo of acros out of the water during a water change and thought I would share :)

ccWsdhI.jpg
    pbOPzU3.jpg

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

Beautiful. Can’t wait to start my 75.

3. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

4. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Just look at that Mille! I love my little piece of it. :D

You should share some of those sweet pics of your nem Harry. :)

5. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

You have the green one, next time pick up the red one!

The bubble tip anemones?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. stella1979

Yep, meant the bubble tips, but we love rock flowers around here too.

7. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Very nice looking tank.

9. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

Thanks man. Since getting my new phone, I cant help but take photos daily! Even that time lapse is just a camera mode, so easy.

10. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

That phone of yours... takes beautiful pics of your tank.
    What phone is it?

I'm getting tired of my iPhone6S

11. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

Iphone X, but the iPhone 8 has the same camera.

12. stella1979

Beautiful pics HP! :emoji_zap:I don't think I shared with you that I'm a Potterhead, hahaha.

Anyhow, I wondered where you shopped for RFA's? Have you been VIP Reef on 137th Ave. ? They seem to be the RFA kings in town. Also, are those porites I see on your RFA garden rock? I've got a small porite colony that I picked up from WWC for $5:D They're growing really well too! Saw a video once of an Australian tank with a large porite covered rock hosting Christmas Tree worms. Totally rad!!! I'd like to try it, so maybe someday.... Have you looked into that at all?

Fed the frags I got from you for the first time today. :D I feed my LPS and softies like this....

and the torch loved it! It had a way stronger feeding response than my first torch ever did and it was so fun to watch. The stonies got a thinned out version, more like a cloud of roids/phyto, and they responded well too. I still can't get over the mille and the slimer. Love them! All the frags are super healthy and happy. :) Thanks again man.

13. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

I used to shop for RFA's at RareReef here in Florida, but they got shut down for scamming customers. It was like $120 for 8 of them! Great colors too, nothing boring. I cant really afford any of the nice ones at VIP.

The coral you are referring to is rainbow montipora, an encrusting type. It grows super fast for me but it is very hard to frag. Ive seen those christmas tree rocks, but I dont have the room for something like that. Also, I like to dip everything in Bayer, an insecticide, which would kill those invertebrates immediately.

Ive never fed spot fed my LPS o_O, they just grow on their own! I do use a lot of reef roids and mysis though, and with so few fish the corals catch a lot.

Im glad they still have PE! I just ordered another box of frag plugs

14. stella1979

Hehehe... ever since seeing you, I thought that keeping frag plugs might not be a bad idea too. I've preserved the two that I popped the acros off of and have several more I can save for someday.

One of the questions I forgot to ask when I was standing in awe in front of your tank.... What methods do you use for nutrient export? I'm not having any trouble with my own and am quite happy with my little fuge, but still wanted to know how you do it.

15. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

HEY, I never said you could keep the plugs!!! :punch::punch::punch::wacky:

A magnetic frag rack off ebay is under $10, and is a great place to put corals. Placing them on the sand bed is always risky, if an acro falls over on the sand is can start dying in hours. I would recommend keeping them on plugs until you are ready to glue them down. You can also adjust the height of the coral until its happiest while on the rack, and then move it onto the rock at the same height.

I only use mechanical filtration- no chemicals. In my experience using stuff like carbon, GFO, and all of those fancy things leads to trouble. In my sump is floss and a skimmer. Now that I think of it there is a refugium light that goes on at night, but no refugium!

16. stella1979

:hilarious: I'll gladly trade your frag plugs back for more frags! JK...jk... :hilarious: You can have 'em back for sure, just keep selling those cheap frags HP!

Thanks for the advice, I may get a frag rack sometime soon, I've just been trying to avoid one in a small tank. The acros are mounted though, glued them down pretty quickly so I could get them safe and in higher light. Working on spots for everything else and will have it done by the weekend.

Good to know about your filtration, thanks for sharing. ;)

17. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

Yes, if I had the space for a dedicated frag tank that was plumbed into my main tank I would love that! It would have to be plumbed into my main tank because I do not want to test and do water changes to two different tanks haha.

I chopped a small red millipora frag so it'll start to heal for ya. Its from the red colony you can see in the top two photos- gets super fuzzy. Very fast growth, mine took a year and a half to go from this size to the current colony.

HfWmwiT.jpg

18. stella1979

Wow! :woot: A fast grower indeed. Thanks!

19. stella1979

Not to be nosy HP, but I've been wondering about the tank near the entryway at your place. What were those fish I saw in there? Pretty impressive schoolers.

20. OP
    OP
    HarryPotter

That is my 300 gallon African Cichlid Tank. Comically easy to take care of, every 2 months I siphon out 50% of the water and refill it with a hose. Found the tank and stand on Craigslist around 6 years ago- including all the white rock, sand, filtration, lighting, etc for $1300.

It’s freshwater but I throw in a few pitchers of salt after the water change, so I suppose it’s brackish? I get a few hundred babies a year (not exaggerating) that I bring to the fish store for store credit, I get like $2 each and the store sells them for around $13.99.

Here’s a bad quality photo, I didn’t focus right.

IfPZH5P.jpg