Potted Plants

1. Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

So, I have this mystery snail tank and have fake plants in it now that they love hanging in. I was thinking of getting some real plants for them, but I have no substrate because they are piggies, so was thinking maybe there are aquarium potted plants I could get. I know nothing of aquarium plants so will not be using CO2 of flourish or whatever else you all put in your planted tanks, so I need something that will live in any fish tank with just basic lighting.

Is there anything like this?

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Most stock lighting( from a kit) just won't grow plants. Potted plants work in a bare bottom tank. You can pot pretty much any plant. There is also floating plants you can use, or even some plants that attach to drift wood. A few moss balls would work nice also.

3. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

Well let me put it this way. I kill houseplants all the time, no idea how, etc., so whatever I buy has to be kill proof. I am moving my room to a bigger room in my house soon, so when I do they are getting at least a 20 gallon tank and I will have room for driftwood. I don't right now. But I have this fake plant up the side of the tank and I find them in it all the time. So, was looking for like a viney thing.

4. Dave125g

Water wisteria is a nice stem plant. It can easily be potted left floating, or even left on its side. It will take nutrients from the water, in the form of nitrates found in healthy tanks. Its a low light plant, as kill proof and easy as it gets. It just need (like all plants) proper lighting. I have the same issue with house plants as well. I find myself doing great with aquatic plants though. Hopfully you will as well. The plant in the photo is wisteria. 1104171727b.jpg

5. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

There are several types of plants that get attached to rocks or driftwood that might work. I have Anubias & java fern both super glued to a fake log in my tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

That's pretty. Thanks for the suggestion, will look into some.

7. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

Won't the super glue kill the plant? Do you have a picture please? If not, no biggy. Was just curious.

I really really like the Anubia. Nice, thick leaves, can hold these massive snails. I will have to look into getting some. What is the worse that can happen, they die? How is cleaning around them once they root? I literally take everything out when I clean my snail tank, wash everything off in old tank water, some things have to be sprayed off with full force sprayer in my sink because there is food and poop all stuck in it, like the fake plant. Can real plants be taken out totally from the tank? I guess so if in a pot or attached to a driftwood or rock.

8. Dave125g

If in a pot or driftwood mabee, but plants don't like being moved much. In a fully planted tank, when it comes to cleaning, less is more.

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

IMG_4377.JPG
    Trying to attach a picture of the night I glued them onto the fake log. This is out of the tank. The glue is on the rhisome doesn’t hurt the plant. The roots cling to the object when they grow - so I don’t have to worry about disturbing them when I move the log for cleaning.
    Check out Rachel O’Leary on YouTube. She has a whole video on “bomb proof plants” and how she glued them to rocks or wood. Good luck.

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Anacharis grows quickly but is basically bulletproof and can grow in just basic stock lighting. Since you like the look of anubias, it may not be your thing, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck!
    Edit: somehow my mystery snails manage to climb it, which seems to go against physis lol, since they're pretty heavy and the anacharis are very thin, but they manage.

11. BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer Member Member

This is my Water Sprite. Grows so very fast, which means it eats up nitrate quickly.

IMG_20180517_214428.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

That is so pretty. One day. Thanks for showing me a picture.

13. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

Added it to my Amazon cart, so when I get ready to buy, can choose between the 2 I added before and this one. It is pretty too.

14. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

This is really pretty too. Thank you.