Potted Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by fiendish, Apr 13, 2018.

1. f

fiendish New Member Member

New guy here,

I've been away from the hobby for about 15 years or so according to the dates on the master test kit I recently threw away. At the time it was all put away, there was a F8 puffer tank with BB gobies and a couple of smaller assorted guppy tanks.

Digging through my gear I was able to set up a 29 gallon tank with UGF and power heads. The tank has been up and running for the last couple weeks and is clean and clear. Did purchase a new master test kit from my LFS (100 miles round trip)

At this point my interest is leaning more towards a planted tank before ever thinking about stocking with fish, having done a bit of reading it's obvious that there are very few fans of the UGF systems, never had problems with them myself which is why my current tank is cycling with one now.

Interested in any links or other information available to research various potted plant options for my set up, not opposed to adding secondary filtration etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

Hey, and welcome to fishlore! It isn’t a good idea to do a fishless cycle with plants because plants feed on ammonia, ni, and na. I started with tons of plants, so now, my school of 6 and honey gourami don’t provide enough waste. This is a 25. Stock your plants slowly.

Do you have a low, medium, or high light?

3. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you for your time,

Am just kinda feeling the waters so to speak and am more interested in the potted plant research or any experiences others may have with them, lurking around here and didn't see a lot, maybe I'm asking the search engine the wrong sort of question, dunno. Did a youtube search and not seeing much with the potted plants and UGF, maybe there is a reason for that, again dunno.

I'm not really ready for fish or plants at this point and will definitely work into the plant thing slowly.

Maybe I'll just have to be the path forger, or the guy trying to re-invent the square wheel.

Thanks again

4. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

Try searching stuff about non potted plants. You will get better results. My Anubius came in a little pot.

5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Even though potted plants possess a certain amount of forgivable clearance between the actual pot and the substrate, using an UGF will still likely "vacuum" nutrients from the potted plants. But I could be incorrect though. Just from what I've heard from this pro plant grower from my good lfs.

6. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks again for your responses

Interesting concept about the siphoning of the nutes, I've no experience to validate or not, but with that information then I'm led to assume that (like potted household plants) aquarium plants would need a container that has drainage holes ?

Not sure about the lighting though as it is a t8 fixture, I did purchase a plant spectrum bulb for it.

More research.

Thanks agian for the helpful information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice