Pothos Safety Concerns

Finlikesfish

Thisis is non-urgent, not a current situation and is just a plan for the future.

Hello FishLore friends!
If I were to grow some golden pothos in a tank for a fish, would it be safe?

Would it leach anything harmful into the water?
What would happen if the fish broke off a root and chewed on it/ate it/nibbled on roots? What if it got ahold of a leaf?
If I trimmed roots would the snipped root on the plant leach anything into the water?

Just wanted to check that this would be a 100% safe option for the fish.
Additional info: tank will have very low bioload so this is mostly for aesthetic purposes and for roots for the fish to explore.

If there are any other accessible plants that you have found similar/better feel free to let me know!
Thank you so much for your help!

UmNick

Finlikesfish said:
Thisis is non-urgent, not a current situation and is just a plan for the future.

Hello FishLore friends!
If I were to grow some golden pothos in a tank for a fish, would it be safe?

Would it leach anything harmful into the water?
What would happen if the fish broke off a root and chewed on it/ate it/nibbled on roots? What if it got ahold of a leaf?
If I trimmed roots would the snipped root on the plant leach anything into the water?

Just wanted to check that this would be a 100% safe option for the fish.
Additional info: tank will have very low bioload so this is mostly for aesthetic purposes and for roots for the fish to explore.

If there are any other accessible plants that you have found similar/better feel free to let me know!
Thank you so much for your help!
I had pothos hanging in my tank once for about 4 months, and saw no problems whatsoever. The only thing I would make sure of Is that you haven't had the pothos sitting in fertilized water before adding to your tank. What kind of fish will you be keeping?

UnknownUser

Everyone talks about pothos plants in fish tanks, so I’m sure they’re safe. If the tank is low bioload it’ll probably need liquid ferts in the water to survive though

Flyfisha

A few species will nibble on the roots occasionally ,I have seen no issues.
After 12 months the roots are so long I have cut them or torn them under water without an issue.
It grows well with and without fertiliser.
I have over a hundred cuttings in these tanks it does not seem to drain the water level as far as I can see. But logically dozens of cuttings must use some water?

Finlikesfish

Thanks so much all! I have not gotten the tank set up yet, I’m just planning for the future.
I don’t know if I’ll end up using the plant to err on the side of caution (I’m really not sure yet) but I really appreciate the opinions!
Thank you FishLore friends!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom