Pothos roots

1. v

velveteentuzhi Valued Member Member

So I have some pothos cuttings in my tank that really took off. Only problem is the roots are now all over the tank, and really looks unsightly to me.
    For those of you who have pothos, how do you keep your roots tucked away/not spreading everywhere?

2. Innocent159

Innocent159 Valued Member Member

I can't help you but can you please include pictures. I would like to see it and how the roots are placed in the tank. Want to help my mommy grow plants for the living room

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can trim them to keep them at bay. Maybe find a way to tuck them behind the decor in your tank?

4. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Do you have them submerged to let roots grow in the gravel or are they floating?

5. OP
    OP
    v

The roots are free floating at the moment. The pothos only has roots in the water, everything else is above tank

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. LJC6780

Oh ok. I grabbed some of our small sedum the other day and put in my tanks. Roots are growing off of it like crazy, and I know they probably won't last too long submerged but I have a ton of it so I don't mind replacing as needed. It's giving my fry some hiding spots.

7. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I am putting mine in the back of the filter. How do you keep you plant above water in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    v

I put the base of the stem into the cutouts for the filter, and angle the rest of the stem so that only the roots are in the water.
    Did you mean you put your plant inside the filter? Or just tuck it behind the filter?

9. Lady Monster

Like in the part where the biomedia is. I saw it done this way on YouTube. They took a cutting and stuck the end that roots right between the media and the filter floss. I received my cuttings Maybe 2 weeks ago.

10. Lady Monster

[​IMG] like this

11. LJC6780

I got some cuttings from my mom today and stuck a few in through the filter hole with the main stem hanging out over the side of the tank and then one smaller piece I just floated in the water. The stems, for sure, can be down in water because that is how you root a new cutting ... but not sure how long the leaves will last in the water.

12. Lady Monster

This plant will die if submerged, the leaves need to be above water

13. OP
    OP
    v

I'll try that. Do you see more evaporation with the back of the filter open?

14. Lady Monster

Nope! In fact i never used the lid prior either because it made the filter rattle. Its such a small opening that you won't notice evaporation unless you don't keep up with water changes.

15. LJC6780

I know it's not an underwater plant. I was just saying I don't know how long the leaves will last submerged. The stems will be fine. I used to grow this just in a vase of water. Stems would be all curled up in the base completely covered and would be fine. So you may lose a few leaves but if you had a long enough piece you could plant it in the bottom instead of roots hanging from the top.

16. kimberlyKeidron

kimberlyKeidron Valued Member Member

I've had my pothos floating for years, and other than normal die off the leaves are fine fully submerged

17. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You could get a plastic soap basket that attaches with suction cups in the shower and stick it inside the tank and use that to hold the roots. They are made of clear plastic. you find it in with kitchen gadgets or bath items. Alison

18. Lady Monster

I could put a cutting down in the tank? Everyone tells me it will kill the plant.

19. LJC6780

You can for sure put the stems in the water. I don't know about fully submerging it. I have a piece floating on the surface of one of mine just to see how it does.

20. kimberlyKeidron

kimberlyKeidron Valued Member Member

It's what I've always done, they're very resilient plants and next to impossible to kill.