10 Gallon Tank Pothos roots darkening in my aquarium

newbietetra

Hi

My coworker gave me a pothos plant...so i stuck it in my 10 gallon aquarium.
That was 2 months ago. It is defintely growing. But i notice the roots are getting darker.
Shouldnt the roots be white?

Thanks!

p.s. I started adding liquid fertilizer two weeks ago. It seems to have no effect.

1B64FAF7-6E45-495D-8F97-6F8644875E64.jpeg

PeterFishKeepin

Algae growing on the roots?

newbietetra

Algae growing on the roots?
there is no algae anywhere else. The tank has only a t8 light, and I only turn it on for about 2 hours each day.

.I can scrap the black stuff off with my finger nails. The root is green underneath.

bumblinBee

Looks like algae or particulate floating in your tank that's getting trapped in the fuzzy coating surround the root. I'd say this is pretty normal, nothing to really be concerned about.
there is no algae anywhere else. The tank has only a t8 light, and I only turn it on for about 2 hours each day.

.I can scrap the black stuff off with my finger nails. The root is green underneath.
Even if algae doesn't seem to be growing anywhere else in the tank, that doesn't mean it can't happen in one or two odd spots. I have completely rid my tank of bba, except in the seam of the silicone that holds the edges of the tank together. It's only a tiny amount, barely noticeable unless you're actively looking for it and it's been there for years. It hasn't spread anywhere else in the tank. I also get string algae from time to time, but it only ever grows in my moss - nowhere else! Algae can be funny like that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
sonicthehedgehog
Replies
Views
moogie25
Replies
Views
WTFish?
Replies