Pothos question

Rose of Sharon
Hi,

I would like to add a pothos to my tank. It will be the only live plant in my tank, or rather, the roots will be in the tank with the leaves hanging off the back.

If I have pretty low amount of nitrates in my tank, will a pothos plant still thrive? My betta doesn't have a very big bioload, and I have pleanty of Indian Almond Leaves in my tank.

The tank is a 5 gallon, and has been up and running since Christmas. It is fully cycled, with a filter and heater.

Water parameters are - ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, and nitrate - less than 3 ppm's

Thanks in advace!

Kribensis27
That sounds fine. It might not grow as fast, but it certainly won't die. Adding some planted tank ferts on occasion would be helpful if it ever looks like it needs more nutrients.

Rose of Sharon
Ok, thanks!

Can you recommend a brand of fertilizer? Since I am new to this, I don't know exactly what to look for.

Kribensis27
I use this for my tank with good results. I'm sure there are better fertilizers, but this is just a good one I've found. Others can probably advise you better on this matter, though.
Easy Green All-in-One Fertilizer

mattgirl
Lots of folks do recommend the Easy Green from aquarium co-op. When I run out of Thrive C I will get a bottle of it myself. You may want to get a small syringe to dose it since it recommends one pump per 10 gallons. Each pump is supposed to dispense 1ml. For your 5 gallon tank you will only need 1/2ml.

Flyfisha
With no other plants in a tank I would not rush out and buy fertiliser for pothos?
Pothos needs the oxygen and fresh water that is in any fish tank. It struggles in a jar of stagnant tap water with no movement and fish poop but it will grow until the jar runs out of water.
Seriously if you keep adding new tank water once a month pothos will stay alive in a stagnant jar of water. It will thrive in any fish tank with all the fish waste and a constant level of water.

I suggest you start with a dozen cuttings. Most plants in pots are actually more than one cutting.
Almost no fertiliser in this water with these cuttings
image.jpg

And no fertiliser in the fry tanks.

image.jpg

Rose of Sharon
mattgirl said:
Lots of folks do recommend the Easy Green from aquarium co-op. When I run out of Thrive C I will get a bottle of it myself. You may want to get a small syringe to dose it since it recommends one pump per 10 gallons. Each pump is supposed to dispense 1ml. For your 5 gallon tank you will only need 1/2ml.
Ok, thanks Mattgirl!

JLAquatics
Easy Green would be better than Thrive in this case as Easy Green contains more Nitrates in the bottle. If dosed correctly, it will naturally raise the Nitrate ppm to 10-20 ppm, which is ideal for your Pothos. I have Pothos growing in Easy Green dosed water, it certainly loved it. I actually ran an experiement not too long ago with two bottles of Pothos. One was just plain tap water and the other was dosed regularly with easy green in which plant clippings of similar size were added to both. Both plants did well, but the one with Easy Green got larger leaves and much more robust way quicker than the one without. However, if you are buying some Easy Green you should definitely try some beginner aquatic plants to make the fert more worthwhile to buy in my opinion.

Flyfisha
Rose of Sharon disregard most of the fish u tubers videos on propagating pothos. They say to put a long branch in water. That will kind of work, but to grow healthy pothos in large amounts quickly follow this gentlemans approach to cuttings.

Rose of Sharon
JLAquatics said:
Easy Green would be better than Thrive in this case as Easy Green contains more Nitrates in the bottle. If dosed correctly, it will naturally raise the Nitrate ppm to 10-20 ppm, which is ideal for your Pothos. I have Pothos growing in Easy Green dosed water, it certainly loved it. I actually ran an experiement not too long ago with two bottles of Pothos. One was just plain tap water and the other was dosed regularly with easy green in which plant clippings of similar size were added to both. Both plants did well, but the one with Easy Green got larger leaves and much more robust way quicker than the one without. However, if you are buying some ferts you should definitely try some beginner aquatic plants to make the fert more worthwhile to buy in my opinion.
I will definitely be starting on some beginner plants. I am starting with the pothos because I already have a couple of them in the house. It's like sticking your toe in the water...

Thanks for the advice!

jmaldo
I started with a clipping, now have vines on most of my tanks. No added ferts, just the fish waste.

Pothos.jpg

Good Luck!

Pfrozen
Mine has been living in 0 nitrates for months but eventually it will grow too big and start showing deficiencies. Mine is maybe 5 feet long now with super thick stems and leaves the size of my hand... I just had to cut off the last foot or so and transfer the cutting to another tank. Pruning once every several months is pretty low maintenance tho :D

Rose of Sharon
Flyfisha said:
Rose of Sharon disregard most of the fish u tubers videos on propagating pothos. They say to put a long branch in water. That will kind of work, but to grow healthy pothos in large amounts quickly follow this gentlemans approach to cuttings.
Thanks Flyfisha!
This is really helpful!!!!

mattgirl
The only reason I would recommend adding any ferts to this tank is the fact that it is home to one little fish. I understand adding no extra ferts to a well stocked tank. The fish, shrimp or in my case the snails are adding lots of nutrients.

My snail jar has pothos growing out the top of it. The leaves get much bigger than the ones I have rooting in plain water. The jar (2.5 gallon) is at least half filled with roots. I actually trim them off from time to time to give the snails more room.

JLAquatics
mattgirl said:
The only reason I would recommend adding any ferts to this tank is the fact that it is home to one little fish. I understand adding no extra ferts to a well stocked tank. The fish, shrimp or in my case the snails are adding lots of nutrients.

My snail jar has pothos growing out the top of it. The leaves get much bigger than the ones I have rooting in plain water. The jar (2.5 gallon) is at least half filled with roots. I actually trim them off from time to time to give the snails more room.
I agree completely with this. The Pothos would probably begin strong without any ferts, then slowly die back from the lack of nutrients and fish waste being created as the plant gets bigger. A small plant would probably be fine, but as that plant grows the demand for nutrients will increase. This is why dosing a small amount of Easy Green would be beneficial long term for the plant and like I said above would allow the OP to try some easy aquatic plants with decent success.

Pfrozen
Easy green is a great fert... imo it is the most well-balanced of all the commercially available ferts aside from buying dry and doing it yourself. You can't even buy KNO3 in Canada anyways so dry is a no-go for me

the advice here is great.. I've been growing pothos for about 6 months now myself, I can tell you that it definitely suck your tank dry after awhile so fertilizing is an absolute must

Latest threads

Top Bottom