Pothos question

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
644
So I here people say you can put pothos in your filter or tank and it'll suck out nitrates. I want to do this but can't find it. Are there any other plants that will also do this, I was wondering if sweet potato vine would work. It looks pretty similar to it based on pictures. Or just some other options besides pothos for this. And what are the requirements for it so I can do some research on my own, basically what makes pothos work in the aquarium.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,730
Just about any plant that can be rooted in water will work. Some folks here do use sweet potatoes. Others use Chinese Evergreens. I use Philodendrons, they are basically nothing more than an ivy plant. Peace lilies will work. If something will root in water it will grow roots in your tank.
 

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,829
Where do you live? Pothos is sold almost everywhere in the US. You can find it at the supermarket in the floral department or the garden center of any home improvement store. Pretty much anywhere they sell house plants. Like, most offices have one somewhere and most people who have one will gladly give away a cutting.
But like mattgirl said, almost any vine plant will do. Emersed plants use a lot of nutrients out of the water because they have unlimited CO2 from the air.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
SouthAmericanCichlids

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
644
There are barely any plants at walmart, don't know about Lowe's. But my mother is a gardener for her job and she has some sweet potato vines at our house so I wanted to see if I could use that, I am in the midwest.
 

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,829
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
There are barely any plants at walmart, don't know about Lowe's. But my mother is a gardener for her job and she has some sweet potato vines at our house so I wanted to see if I could use that, I am in the midwest.
ok i see :) I didn't know if you lived somewhere that it wasn't legal or something lol. yeah...walmart...
I knew one person who had sweet potato in their tank. I don't know how it does long term.
 

RomeoOscar

Active Member
Member
Messages
248
I've tried the sweet potato vine it works pretty good! I also am experimenting with mint, put the roots in water, and it keeps growing more and more. I think it could work! I've done celery, peppermint, basil, lemongrass... Just make sure they have light otherwise it'll die. Though pothos and sweet potato don't require much light
 

ElysiumPlants

Active Member
Member
Messages
149
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
So I here people say you can put pothos in your filter or tank and it'll suck out nitrates. I want to do this but can't find it. Are there any other plants that will also do this, I was wondering if sweet potato vine would work. It looks pretty similar to it based on pictures. Or just some other options besides pothos for this. And what are the requirements for it so I can do some research on my own, basically what makes pothos work in the aquarium.
Hi there,

I’m a horticulturist by trade. I have a few different types of Pothos on hand, including a couple of really neat variegated varieties. If you don’t mind covering the shipping, I’d be more than happy to share them your way for free.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
SouthAmericanCichlids

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
644
Thanks for offering, but I can use some sweet potato vine my mom grows. And everything is taking forever to ship, I got mailed something about a month ago and it still hasn't come. So it would probably die.
 

ElysiumPlants

Active Member
Member
Messages
149
Good god, a month? Where do you live, Antarctica?

Okay, so I kind of really just want you to have a crack at a new plant or five. If you change your mind, PM me an address I can send it to and I’ll cover the shipping and fire off a few other cool plants as well. I can clone the daylights out of Pothos, so it’s not a big deal if it doesn’t arrive in the best of shape (trust me, it nearly always does).

Be careful with sweet potato. It grows faster than darn near anything I can think of, even if you cut it off at ground level. Make the mistake of planting it outside and you’re going to be digging tubers out trying to get rid of it for months, at least in my climate.

ElysiumPlants said:
Good god, a month? Where do you live, Antarctica?

Okay, so I kind of really just want you to have a crack at a new plant or five. If you change your mind, PM me an address I can send it to and I’ll cover the shipping and fire off a few other cool plants as well. I can clone the daylights out of Pothos, so it’s not a big deal if it doesn’t arrive in the best of shape (trust me, it nearly always does).

Be careful with sweet potato. It grows faster than darn near anything I can think of, even if you cut it off at ground level. Make the mistake of planting it outside and you’re going to be digging tubers out trying to get rid of it for months, at least in my climate.
darn*

Also, while Pothos is invasive in the sense that it’s a trailing plant and any node that makes contact with earth will put out roots, it doesn’t make tubers that will throw out wildly scrambling plants months or even years later. Say again: proceed with caution, and don’t plant it outside.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
SouthAmericanCichlids

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
644
I live in the US and it was mailed from the US. I live about in the middle too. Mail is really slowing down because of corona, at least near me.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
216
Guests online
2,488
Total visitors
2,704

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom