Pothos/pothos roots causing brown algae (diatoms)

moogie25

this is the 2nd time i'm adding pothos hanging from my tank. 1st time it was causing massive diatoms in my tank and it took several months to get rid of them (scrubbing constantly on the tank wall and rocks).

within the last week, i've started this pothos again hanging from the tank with roots under water. and today i noticed the brown algae started forming on the tank wall, again.

is this expected and normal? am i missing something? do i need to add anything?

i dont like the diatoms/brown algae. i've read it's not harmful but doesn't look good.

any help is appreciated.

YellowGuppy

Usually diatoms are only an issue in the second month or so of establishing a tank - is there any chance that one or both tanks were in this window when you added the pothos?

I don't see how adding a plant would inherently result in an algae bloom, so it makes me wonder what else might have happened at the same time. Did you transfer a pothos cutting from a tank that had a bunch of diatoms without rinsing it off first?

moogie25

this tank (only one) has been cycled since july this year, so about 3 or so months established. the first time it had diatoms was a month ago, so around 2months established.

pothos was brought over from a water pot, not from any tank. i triple rinsed carefully prior to transferring to tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
americanninja
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
AlyeskaGirl
  • Question