Pothos Plants For Reducing Nitrates

SSJ

Valued Member
Messages
278
Reaction score
71
Points
48
Experience
Just started
Hi Guys, i see lot of struggle with nitrates/nitrites. Please check this video and few others in the suggestion section for using pothos plants. I ve got one today..you may want to try it out!!


 

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Messages
2,138
Reaction score
626
Points
128
Experience
1 year
Be careful if you have other pets. According to our vet it is poisonous for cats & dogs.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

SSJ

Valued Member
Messages
278
Reaction score
71
Points
48
Experience
Just started
Mom2some said:
Be careful if you have other pets. According to our vet it is poisonous for cats & dogs.
Thats right. Not recommended for cats/dogs
 

fbn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
12
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
I do aquaponics out of a 5 gallon tank that has a few ghost shrimp and some rosy reds. I have a pothos growing in there - it's doing incredibly well and the root system is fantastic. Also, if you have enough sun, you can try growing mint, too. I have two net pots suspended over my aquarium by a wooden rod with mint in them. Mint is a very fast grower and is doing quite well, too! Watercress could also be an excellent option. Just tested my water several days ago -- 0-0-0.

Glad to see others using plants like this to help with their filtration systems! It's such a smart idea and looks nice, too!
 

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Messages
1,918
Reaction score
1,252
Points
198
SSJ said:
Thats right. Not recommended for cats/dogs
I have a dog who ate arrowhead which is a relative of pothos when she was around a year old... Definitely is no fun. She's about to turn 14 now, but she ate 3-4 leaves and it was two trips to the vet and close to a week of very unpleasant experience for her and everyone else in the house.

That said I still keep pothos and arrowhead plants, I have cats and dogs I'm just much more careful about where I place them and keeping them trimmed.

And on the note of using them for nitrAte reduction. The amount is negligible so it is absolutely not a replacement for water changes, appropriate stocking and managing your tank properly.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

SSJ

Valued Member
Messages
278
Reaction score
71
Points
48
Experience
Just started
fbn said:
I do aquaponics out of a 5 gallon tank that has a few ghost shrimp and some rosy reds. I have a pothos growing in there - it's doing incredibly well and the root system is fantastic. Also, if you have enough sun, you can try growing mint, too. I have two net pots suspended over my aquarium by a wooden rod with mint in them. Mint is a very fast grower and is doing quite well, too! Watercress could also be an excellent option. Just tested my water several days ago -- 0-0-0.

Glad to see others using plants like this to help with their filtration systems! It's such a smart idea and looks nice, too!
Great, i am hoping it will keep the water levels fine..
 

Cardeater

Valued Member
Messages
394
Reaction score
137
Points
78
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah the pet part is a very important point. I was excited about doing something like this to reduce nitrates but then I learned it's poisonous to cats, so I won't be doing it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

SSJ

Valued Member
Messages
278
Reaction score
71
Points
48
Experience
Just started
Cardeater said:
Yeah the pet part is a very important point. I was excited about doing something like this to reduce nitrates but then I learned it's poisonous to cats, so I won't be doing it.
There r some other plants which can help..i googled it i guess

Cardeater said:
Yeah the pet part is a very important point. I was excited about doing something like this to reduce nitrates but then I learned it's poisonous to cats, so I won't be doing it.
If you can get those plants..which stay on top of lakes .swamps..i heard r very good for the fish..also peace lilly
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom