Potentialky Stupid Question About Substrate Thickness

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Anne79, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Anne79 New Member Member

oh boy... the more i read and learn, the more i think i know nothing...

Oh well, im really learning a lot with you guys and this awesome forum. So heres the question:
    My tank is in fact a waterhone 25 gallons. So the dimensions are 31 x 12 x 16. After reading on the lightning forum that its hard to maintain flourishing plants with high above 12", i was wondering if i could make my substrate higher, to reduce the distance light have to run ti reach bottom of tank. I was thinking if 4" of flourish dark substrate... (would mean 12" distance from top aquarium to bottom.. see where i want to go,,)

Good or bad idea?
    I will use Tropica low plants with 2 medium plants (i.e tiger lotus plant ) and im finally thinking of using co2

2. Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You might want to invest in a higher profile light.

3. Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Bad idea. At 3" more or less you run the risk of anaerobic bacteria. This produces hydrogen sulfide gas which can nuke the life in your aquarium. But if you have the right amount of substrate dwellers that churn the substrate, no issue.

It is not hard to grow plants in deep water you just need the right lights. My 150 is 31" deep.

Keep Co2 injection for the last after you have a firm grasp of raising aquatic plants.

It is a balancing act of lights, supplements, care and the type of plants. It is as addictive as fish. I add supplements daily, twice a week, weekly and every 3 months. I spend around 3-5 hours a week working with my plants :)

4. Anne79 New Member Member

Omg thanks for this awesome answer Thunder o_b! I never thought of the anaerobic bacterias, i thought only sand could have them! And do you have any tips of how to balance lights suplements and type of plants? If i tell you the plants i want and plan to have, could you recommend me a light, and which supplements to use? Its really hard for me to understand that... or if you have a site or a post that helped you understand all this, i would gadlt read it :)

Meanwhile, ill keep my substrate at around 2,5" ! Thanks *^_^*