Potential Stocking...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kyleena696, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Kyleena696Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep a red tailed shark and a gold nugget pleco in the same tank? I've wanted the shark since I started the hobby. I seen the pleco at a LFS last weekend and fell in love with them.

If yes, what size of tank?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Stryphe89New MemberMember

I'm not sure about compatibility as far as aggression goes. I know red tail sharks can be territorial, so he may chase the pleco away if he comes too close, and gold nuggets tend to hide a lot, so you may not see much of him.

As far as tank size, I wouldn't recommend anything under a 55g.

3. Kyleena696Valued MemberMember

I figured it would be at least 55, since that's what they need individually. I'd probably feel more comfortable with 80-100.

I know the sharks are territorial. I also read that the plecos are aggressive to their own species and other plecos. Since the sharks spend lots of time at the bottom (right?) I wasn't sure how they'd do together.

4. Stryphe89New MemberMember

Yeah, RTS prefer middle-bottom. And yes, the gold nuggets in particular are known to be aggressive to other plecos.
    I think the most you would have to worry about would be some aggressive chasing from the RTS. As long as they have plenty of space and possibly some places to hide for the GN, they should be okay.