Potential Stocking Lists: Any input is appreciated 60 Gallon Tank

1. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

:;hi1 Hi all. I have some ideas for the stocking of my 60 gallon tank and I was hoping for any input on the list I have put together. I was also wondering: Can you put more than one pearl gourami in the tank? I have read from some sources that you need more than one, but I don't know how reliable they were. I also know that gouramis can be aggressive, so I'm not sure. I want them to be happy, but not kill each other off. Are all danios stressful to gouramis? I would like to get some, but if they'll stress the pearls, I wouldn't. Okay, so here goes:

List 1:
    4? Pearl Gourami
    7 guppies
    10 Pygmy Rasbora
    6 Corydoras of some sort

List 2.
    8 Cardinal Tetra
    5 guppies
    1 Pearl Gourami
    6 Corydoras

I'm open to suggestions, but I would really like a Pearl Gourami. I can always consider others though. Thanks in advance!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Pearl gouramis are not aggressive like the 3 spots. In a 60, I would start with one male and 2 females. I wouldn't get danios - at least not zebras or giants. CPDs will work.

Your numbers of fish are low, but thats good. You can always add more later.

3. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay, thanks! I'm still researching on others that I could get. I'm glad that I can get more than one pearl, they're so pretty! :)

4. Jaysee

I have 2 in my 45, but when I move them to the 55 I am going to get another female.

5. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Cool! I love pearls! Would there be a problem if I got four or even five? It would be best to have just one male, right? Are there any other easy, pretty schooling fish that would go well with this group?

6. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh, I never thought about them. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. Jaysee

I don't know about 4 or 5. If after having 3 for a little you still think you need more, then get another.

9. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay, I'll try three when the time comes. Do you know if they get aggressive if the fish coming in is new? Well, thanks for the help!

10. Jaysee

Your welcome. I haven't seen any aggression of any kind from them.

11. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh, well that's nice to know. I'm glad that you haven't noticed any aggression. Thanks for all of the help. :)

12. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I like your list two but with the extra 2 Gouramis & probably Lemon or Pretty Tetras instead of Guppys. Nothing wrong with having the Guppys, I'm just not a big fan of them.

13. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

That sounds really neat. I like the look of guppies and I know they're at my LFS, so I was going to go with them and put them in first, after my tank is newly cycled. Are pretty and lemon tetras sensitive to water parameters? If they are, I probably wouldn't get them, as I want a less sensitive fish to start my tank. Thanks for the help!

14. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

How about serpaes? In a large school of 8 or so, the fin-nipping will most likely be confined to themselves. If that's too risky, look into other tetras as Nutter said.

15. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Serpaes are interesting to me, but I'm worried about fin-nipping.

16. Jaysee

I had a school of 9 that nipped everything in the tank, including themselves. Now they live with tiger barbs.

How about orange flame tetras?

17. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Orange flame tetras are pretty. I like the idea of those. They would also look really nice next to pearl gouramis. :)

18. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I googled orange flame tetras...they're really pretty, and I'd highly recommend them (I only picked serpaes because of their color).

19. Jaysee

I've got a school of 9 and they're beautiful and not nippy.

If it I was in chanrge of stocking the tank, I'd put a pair of pearl gouramis, a pair of GBRs, 20 neons and 12 orange flames, with 10 corys.

I keep my pearls with GBRs, dwarf neon rainbows, gold barbs and albino corys (soon to be angelicus loaches instead)

20. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Yeah, they are really pretty. What do you think of these setups?
    List 3:
    3 pearl gouramis
    7 Orange Flame Tetras
    7 Pygmy Rasbora
    6 Corydoras

List 4:
    3 Pearl Gouramis
    7 Orange Flame Tetra
    5 Glass Catfish (Are they hard to care for?)
    1 Bristlenose Pleco

List 5:
    3 Pearl Gouramis
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    10 Celestial Pearl Danio
    10 Pygmy Rasbora

List 6:
    1 pair rams (Are they hard to care for?)
    1 Bristlenose pleco
    10 Pygmy Rasbora
    6 Cardinal Tetras

That's all for now. If you have any more suggestions, I'm open to them.