Potential Parasites Infection ????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by toFeedornottoFeed, Jul 16, 2017.

1. toFeedornottoFeedNew MemberMember

Please help my guppy ! Thank you in advance !

My guppy has recently become bloated in the course of about two weeks. He is eating fine, active but I am quite concerned about his bloated stomach. And recently I saw this weird poo like a white or transparent string.

I have tried to fast him and feed him peas. That seems helped a little bit but his stomach is still considerably bigger than before.

Any suggestions ? Should I do Epsom salt bath or med bath with paraguard ?

Thank you !!

He is currently in a 20 long with another guppy, 6 neon and 3 panda cories.
    Water parameter is: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20 - 40 Nitrate. Tank been running for over six month. 7 - 8 hour of light per day.

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 21.42.14.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 21.41.44.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-16 at 21.41.51.png

Attached Files:

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

I would treat with praziquantel (Prazipro).

3. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Because of the segmented look of the feces, I agree that praziquantel should take care of it. Most likely just flatworms.

4. OP
    OP
    t

toFeedornottoFeedNew MemberMember

Thanks a lot ! Could you please explain me a bit more regarding why you think praziquantel would help ?

Thank you ! Did you mean that the string shape of the feces looked segmented ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2017
  5. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

The segmented nature of the feces, it is stringy with both white and clear sections appears more like a case of flatworms. And I would guess an early case, one the fish hasn't had long. This appears especially likely because your fish is still eating and active. That is common. A medication with Praziquantel as its active ingredient should take care of it.

6. OP
    OP
    t

Thank you so much ! I have purchased Prazipo from Hikari. Do you think I could do med bath with it coz I don't want to treat my entire tank as I have cories ?

7. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Yes, you could put fish in quarantine tank and use as bath, but it is not made to be used as a dip.

8. OP
    OP
    t

I just noticed the little black spots on his body were not there originally. Does that mean it is another form of parasite ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice