Potential Parasites Infection ????

1. toFeedornottoFeed Initiate Member

Please help my guppy ! Thank you in advance !

My guppy has recently become bloated in the course of about two weeks. He is eating fine, active but I am quite concerned about his bloated stomach. And recently I saw this weird poo like a white or transparent string.

I have tried to fast him and feed him peas. That seems helped a little bit but his stomach is still considerably bigger than before.

Any suggestions ? Should I do Epsom salt bath or med bath with paraguard ?

Thank you !!

He is currently in a 20 long with another guppy, 6 neon and 3 panda cories.
    Water parameter is: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20 - 40 Nitrate. Tank been running for over six month. 7 - 8 hour of light per day.

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 21.42.14.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 21.41.44.png Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 21.41.51.png

Attached Files:

2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I would treat with praziquantel (Prazipro).

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Because of the segmented look of the feces, I agree that praziquantel should take care of it. Most likely just flatworms.
  4. toFeedornottoFeed Initiate Member

Thanks a lot ! Could you please explain me a bit more regarding why you think praziquantel would help ?

Thank you ! Did you mean that the string shape of the feces looked segmented ?

5. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

The segmented nature of the feces, it is stringy with both white and clear sections appears more like a case of flatworms. And I would guess an early case, one the fish hasn't had long. This appears especially likely because your fish is still eating and active. That is common. A medication with Praziquantel as its active ingredient should take care of it.
  6. toFeedornottoFeed Initiate Member

Thank you so much ! I have purchased Prazipo from Hikari. Do you think I could do med bath with it coz I don't want to treat my entire tank as I have cories ?
  7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Yes, you could put fish in quarantine tank and use as bath, but it is not made to be used as a dip.

8. toFeedornottoFeed Initiate Member

I just noticed the little black spots on his body were not there originally. Does that mean it is another form of parasite ?