potential big fish in smaller tank

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi
     i have been reading through lots of posts about peoples tanks and the fish they have in them, as soon as the words, "pleco","oscars, etc. are mention the first thing people say is "TAKE THEM BACK ITS WAY TOO SMALL"
surely this is spoiling the enjoyment of fishkeeping and limiting people of the variety of fish they can have, "Most" LFS  would surely advise people of the size these can get too and would have known that fact before buying them, these fish dont grow to adult size overnight therefore they could get a minimum of a years enjoyment(depending on size of tank) from these fish before thinking of moving them up in size, im sorry but if someone has a 2" oscar, or pleco etc its ludicrous telling people to put them back to the fish store because of the potential adult size, as how boring would fishkeeping be if you had a 2"inch oscar swimming about in a 50 gallon tank on its own, as long as people are responsible and know the facts about "big fish" there should be absolutely nothing wrong with having these type of fish for a while to enjoy them without being told take them back just as they hit the water.
If you take things literally the hobby of fishkeeping would be extinct for example," If an Oscar had a minimum of 50 fry in a 50 gallon tank would it mean you would have to get "fifty" 50 gallon tanks for each one,
NO you wouldnt, so what harm would it do to keep a potential  big fish in a smaller tank until it needed the tank it should have.

QUOTE FROM Gunnie in which i AGREE with:
Yes, his oscar may get to the point of having a hard time turning around because he is longer than the tank is wide from front to back, but that is a long way off, and they grow much more slowly after the first year.  Plus they may never grow to that size especially if they are already stunted.  What we're trying to do now is resolve the current situation and get those oscars into a much healthier environment instead of having to sell them, and at the same time not overwhelm the new hobbyist to the point of throwing in the towel.         

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
agreed!! i definetly agree!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's okay to grow out a fish in a smaller tank with the intention of upgrading later, but when people are asking about bigger fish, and just getting started in the hobby, it's a good rule of thumb to put that fish in the beginning in the proper size tank he/she will need as a full grown adult. Many folks cannot afford to upgrade to a 55 gal. or larger tank, or don't have the space for that size tank, and it would be irresponsible of us to suggest anything smaller to someone new in the hobby. Also, you might have the intention of upgrading later, and then circumstances change, and that larger tank is no longer an option, so now you have a fish that is housed in tank that is too small. Many fish need large tanks and can't have any roommates because of their aggressiveness, and many hobbyists like having just this one fish. Flowerhorns, midas, trimacs, dovii, etc. are all extremely aggressive, and will try and kill any other fish in their tank. It's just a matter of personal preference. We are just not going to recommend here that it's okay to get a 1 inch oscar, and you only have a 10 gallon tank. It's not fair to the new hobbyist or to the fish.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,
        Did i sound as if i said that i recommeded big fish in small tanks,
that is what i definately did not suggest or said that others recommened that practise, as my post read! i did say that if people are going to buy (potential big fish) they should know exactly the resposibilities the fish needs etc.
To the people who do know the requirements of the fish but dont respond to them, buy getting bigger tanks or moving it to someone elses tank thats big enough that is cruel.
i have read many times that people should "take them back" without even knowing the actions that the owners may well have in place for the care of the fish just because they started of in a small tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom