Post collanus worm tank usage

1. s

s hawk Well Known Member Member

I have my old 2.5 that had a columanus outbreak in it. I ended up upgrading after that. That was late February early March (just before my start date on my 5.5). A family member wants to put a Betta in there. I told her to sanitize everything very well with vinegar, and also recommended that she does not use the stock filter (minibow line). Both due to difficulty to clean, and it's a terrible design. I reccomded a sponge filter. My question though is, does she need to take any more precautions to prevent an infection or outbreak in her betta tank. Also if I let her use my cleaning supplies should I be worried about outbreak in my tank. Thanks

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well besides sanitizing the tank, she also shouldn't use anything such as nets that were used in the infected tank. I personally would use new substrate and/or decor too.

I would have her use something to clean the tank with such as an unused never washed rag, or cheap washcloth then throw it away. Then get another unused never washed washcloth/rag for any other regular cleaning she wishes to do on the tank once the betta is in.

3. OP
    OP
    s

She would only be using the tank. Everything else is either thrown away, or sanitized very well and used in my tank (both tank barebottom). Haven't had them come back yet. My question more becomes should I let her use my gravel vac (bought with new tank) in her tank, or if I let her borrow a plant.

4. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

That's really up to you. Personally I use a different gravel vacuum for each tank just in case something happens. As long as both tanks are disease free, then it would be fine, but if some disease does come along again then it could spread to both tanks that way.

5. OP
    OP
    s

Okay thanks. She has her old one from her 29 gallon. Guess that's going to be a no on the plants